X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sajids
    • Nov 2019

Invalid reference to mesh item list when exporting

Whenever I import Abaqus-format geometry into Preview to set up a simulation, I constantly receive "Invalid reference to mesh item list when exporting" errors when exporting, and the error cites a piece of geometry. If I remove all references to that piece of geometry, it still happens. If I delete that geometry and redo all the boundary conditions/contact interfaces, it picks another piece of geometry, and so on. This happens *regardless* of the order of mesh editing or boundary conditions being added, and happens even to completely unaltered geometry. I can provide examples of geometry that recreate the error.

The only fix *seems* to be refining the mesh IN preview, and then smoothing it- but then strange inverted elements are introduced, and even if they are manually cut and removed, the model encounters negative jacobians in analysis *before* reforming the stiffness matrices, at every single time point.
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

The most likely explanation is that the Abaqus-format mesh has defects in it. I suggest that you check the mesh quality in the software that you used to generate that mesh.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• maas
      Lead Code Developer
      • Nov 2007

Hi,

When importing an Abaqus file, PreView (and FEBioStudio) will generate some element sets or surfaces, depending on the import settings and the content of the file. You can turn that off in the import settings dialog when you import the file. Perhaps give that a try and see if that solves the problem. You may also send me an example abaqus file that generates this issue so I can double-check whether the issue is caused by something in the file or on our end. You may send it to steve dot maas at Utah dot edu.

Thanks,

Steve
      Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
      Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
      X