• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • forchi93
    • Jul 2018

Importing Abaqus File Behavior Mac/Windows

Hello,

So I have a .inp file generated from Abaqus. I can import it in Windows Preveiw v. 1.20.4 and can assign different material properties to the different element blocks. However, when imported in Paraview 2.1 I cannot assign different material propeties to the different elemenet blocks. More importantly, I cannot import this file on Mac OS X (Sierra 10.12.6) with the newest version of Preview (2.1) or 1.20.4 without an error "Failed importing ABAQUS file. Error while reading keyword ELEMENT (line 19477)". At that line is an elemenet of type C3D8 which i thought was supported by another post on the fourm. Below is a link to the .inp file.

Attached Files
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi Ronald,

The file you attached is in DOS format (suitable for Windows machines). To import it into PreView on the Mac, you need to convert it to unix format. (This will make sure that the end-of-line character, either carriage return or line feed, is properly recognized by PreView.)

On the Mac, you convert the file format using the emacs text editor and following the instructions here or here. Set the file coding to unix.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• forchi93
      • Jul 2018

One more issue

Hi Gerard,

Thank you for the reply, i guess this detail flew under my radar as the error message did not really call that out as the problem and I didn't know which machine it came from. Thank you for your advise, so using a dos to unix converter i got it to open in preview when "Auto-partition from element sets" is unchecked. However when i check it or turn it on, because the second part of my question was assigning material properties to different element blocks, Preview Crashes with the attached crash report and also new .inp file. This is on Preview v. 2.1.

Thank you,
      Ronald Fortunato
      Attached Files

Comment

• ateshian
        Developer
        • Dec 2007

Hi Ronald,

I was able to successfully import your file into PreView 2.1 with "Auto-partition from element sets" checked. Looking at the crash report that you attached, I see that you are also using the same version of PreView, so I am not sure why it is crashing for you.

I have attached the FEBio model file imported from your file tammyfix2-4_mac.feb.zip. Please take a look and let me know if you see inconsistencies with the Abaqus file that you created (e.g., mislabeled parts). That might help us figure out if the import function has errors or is incompatible with some of the features of your file.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

Working...
        X