• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jiangfebio
    • Dec 2016

Specify fiber dimension

Hello,

I noticed that we have options to specify fiber direction, but can we specify the diameter of the fiber?

I am planning to simulate the uniaxial test of a fiber reinforced composite. Here I attached the picture. The through holes refer to fiber.

From some posts I have read, I am thinking about using solid mixture. But I would like to specify the diameter of the fiber as 0.075"(note the specimen height is around 0.2"), do you have any suggestion how I can handle this.

Thanks for your time and help.
    Attached Files
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

The materials that support a fiber property do not allow you to specify the fiber diameter. In fact, this isn't really necessary since the fiber material essentially models the bulk effect of all the fibers combined. It does not model individual fibers.

In your case, it looks like you wish to model the fibers explicitly. You could still use a fiber material for the individual fibers, and again you won't need to specify the fiber diameter. The geometry of the fibers will be sufficient to account for the fiber diameter.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• jiangfebio
      • Dec 2016

Hello Steve,

Just want to make sure that I understand it correctly.

Will model the fiber implicitly, model the fiber and matrix in a single material, be a more practical way?

For example, maybe use "Transversely Isotropic Mooney-Rivlin" model. However, as to the coefficients related to fiber, such as "Fiber uncrimping coefficient" or "Modulus of straightened fibers", are they obtained from a single fiber tensile test or from a uniaxial test of the matrix with fiber together?

Here I attached a feb file. It simulates uniaxial test. I adopted the parameters from this example. http://help.mrl.sci.utah.edu/help/in...F4.1.2.13.html

However, it seems that it was not running correctly. Let me know if you have any suggestion. I appreciate your time and help.

Best
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X