question regarding simulation of orthopedic fixation construct (bone and screw)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghwa1005
    • Apr 2024

question regarding simulation of orthopedic fixation construct (bone and screw)

Dear Febio team,

I am a new user to this program and I am very grateful for such a remarkable program. I have some experience with 3D modeling, but I am not so familiar with FEA.

I created a distal interphalangeal joint bone model (assuming only a cortical shell) with two small screws (separate volumetric mesh). I want to know if this fixation construct is rigid enough when a certain force is exerted on it. I assumed tied-elastic contact for the bones and screws, and rigid contact for the force (simulation of a normal pinch pressing force; 47N).

With the help of the knowledge base, tutorial, and webinar, I have come this far, but the program keeps resulting in a negative Jacobian error. When I adjusted some parameters (with a low rigid_displacement value or low Young's modulus), running FEbio ended with a normal termination, but the result was far from what I expected.

I am sure that I am either putting in some wrong parameters or establishing the boundary condition/force incorrectly. Would you give me some advice on setting the parameters and establishing the condition correctly?

Working...
X