• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • staed2023
    • Oct 2023

newbie FEBio question - contained fluid

Greetings,

I am a relative newbie to FEBIO, I am more typically an ANSYS user. Sometimes I need to model a hollow object under pressure from an internal, contained fluid. In ANSYS I would use a specific element for that. It would still be a structural/solid simulation, not fluid or FSI.

Could anyone tell me what is the appropriate way of modeling such a thing on FEBIO?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
  • jthiesen
    • Nov 2022

Hi Staed.

If you are working with a biphasic (poroelastic) model, this pressure can be prescribed as an essential boundary condition over the pore pressure field. However, if your object is a single phase model, this can be achieved by specifying an external surface pressure over the inner surface of the hollow object, which acts as an external traction.

Best regards,
    José.
    PhD Student at Federal University of Santa Catarina (UFSC, Brazil) and Research visitor at the Institute of Biomechanics (TU Graz)

Comment

• ateshian
      Developer
      • Dec 2007

Hi,

Alternatively, if you want to use only a structural analysis where an enclosed domain is fluid-like, you can use the "udg-hex" element type with an uncoupled elastic material (e.g, "Mooney-Rivlin") where you set the elastic constants to be negligibly small and pick the bulk modulus to match that of the fluid. I have attached a sample problem ( TestMRasFluid.feb ) that illustrates how this can be done. Within FEBioStudio, you can set this element type by expanding Objects->Parts within the model tree, then select the part that needs to be modeled using udg-hex, Under Properties->Solid Formulation select "udg-hex".

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• staed2023
        • Oct 2023

Thank you both for the information.

Follow-up question: for udg-hex, do the underlying elements need to be of any specific shape? when I try in my mesh (where they are hex-4) I get the following error in the SolidDomain section: "unrecognized tag". In the TestMRasFluid example, the elements are hex-8 and this error does not occur.

Thanks once again.

Comment

• ateshian
          Developer
          • Dec 2007

For tet4 elements use "ut4" for the solid formulation. It should have the same effect as udg-hex does for hex elements.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• maas
            Lead Code Developer
            • Nov 2007

Another approach to consider is to use a volume preserving constraint. In that case, you can keep the "fluid" part hollow, and apply this constraint to the surrounding surface. The constraint will then apply a pressure that aims to preserve the volume. Take a look at the test suite cases vc01 and vc02 for examples (see here).

Best,

Steve
            Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
            Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
            X