• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidjiangj
    • Aug 2018

<clamp_shells> function for Rigid Bounday Condition

Hi,

I was curious about the function of the <clamp_shells> flag in the Rigid Boundary Condition for FEBio4. I was not able to locate any documentation.

Thanks!
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

This flag was originally intended to allow a shell to connect to a rigid body only along its front face nodes, leaving back face nodal degrees-of-freedom free. But this flag is being overridden internally because (at some point in time, after introducing <clamp_shells>) we found an odd behavior regarding mesh locking when we fix only front-face nodes to a rigid body. So, for now, this flag does nothing: Front and back-face nodal displacements of shells are always clamped to a rigid body when that rigid boundary condition is requested.

If you want to model shells that only have front face nodes attached to a rigid body (i.e., if you want the shell to freely rotate), use a rigid revolute joint to connect the two bodies.

For now, I have hidden this parameter, so it will not show up in FEBioStudio, but remains available for backward compatibility. Files created with that flag will open with a warning, but otherwise nothing should change.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

Working...
    X