• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim.Gadzella
    • Jan 2021

4.0 Performance Issues with Backwards Compatibility

Hi folks,

I have some models I'm working with that I built in 3.5 that is having a pretty serious performance drop when I move it forward to 4.0. Right now I'm seeing an increase in run time from about 40 minutes (3.5) to over three hours (4.0). There seems to be a hangup after log files are written and the autostepper increases of about 20 seconds per step which appears to be the problem but I'm not sure what's going on - there's no memory, disk, or CPU usage spikes in that time that I've been able to observe. I've been having this issue with pardiso and the MKL DSS solvers.

I am getting some warnings that the fixed/prescribed boundary conditions are deprecated and I can update those, but the warning also throws that the parameters are getting mapped properly anyway so it's unclear to me if that's the issue. Any ideas on what I can do to get the runtimes back down? I'd like to try out the updated reactive viscoelasticity models in 4.0 but the current runtime isn't sustainable for my inverse process.
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

It would be helpful if you could identify which solver you are using which is exhibiting this behavior (structural/solid mechanics, biphasic, fluid, etc). Also, which operating system are you using? Have you tried running your models in FEBio 3.8 and do you encounter the same issues? Are you using contact interfaces? We made a change to the search_radius parameter between 3.5 and 3.8 and made it a dimensional parameter (instead of a scale factor), so if you are using contact interfaces you may want to check that.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• Tim.Gadzella
      • Jan 2021

Hi Gerard, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm using the structural mechanics mechanics (dynamic) on Windows 10. No contact interfaces in my model, but I will try it in 3.8 and get back to you.

Thanks again,

Tim

Comment

• Tim.Gadzella
        • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Tim.Gadzella View Post
        Hi Gerard, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm using the structural mechanics mechanics (dynamic) on Windows 10. No contact interfaces in my model, but I will try it in 3.8 and get back to you.

Thanks again,

Tim
        Just a quick follow-up, this issue appears to only be in 4.0. Version 3.8 is working as before.

Thanks!

Tim

Comment

• maas
          Lead Code Developer
          • Nov 2007

Hi Tim,

Would you mind sharing that file? If it's too big to upload you may email it to me at steve dot maas at utah dot edu.

Thanks,

Steve
          Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
          Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• maas
            Lead Code Developer
            • Nov 2007

Hi Tim,

We already spoke via email, but just for the record I wanted to mention here for users who may run into the same issue that the culprit was identified and a fix is available in the latest dev update.

Best,

Steve
            Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
            Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
            X