• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HelenN
    • Nov 2012

Density units in Examples

Hi all,
    I can not find information about the units in the tutorial.
    1) I'm interested in two examples: co27 (2D foot model) and mi28 (3D finger model).
    For co27 the density of the bones (rigid body) is 1000, while for mi28 it is 1.
    I found in sec. 4.6.2 General Specification of Multiphasic Materials the table with the units, but
    there is no mass or density, and I think it is for different kind of problem.

2) In the example co36 for two spheres, the force is 0.2. My question: is it 0.2N?

Thanks in advance,
    Elena
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi Elena,

You need to pick a self-consistent set of units. For example,

If length is in mm, force is in N and time is in s, this means that acceleration is in mm/s^2. It follows that mass = force/acceleration = N*s^2/mm = tonne (1000 kg). So density must be in units of tonne/mm^3.

If length is in m, force in N and time in s, then mass is in kg and density is in kg/m^3.

In the examples you mention, there is no fool-proof way of knowing what the units are (e.g., length could be in m, mm, inches, ft, etc.), unless the units are specifically mentioned in the comments.

Best,

Gerard
    Last edited by ateshian; 12-11-2012, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• HelenN
      • Nov 2012

Thank you, Gerard. It is now more clear. I hope that the force in the example mi28 is in N. But therefore, the density
      1 Tonne/mm^3 seems exaggerated because the density of osmium is 20 g/cm^3 = 20 x 10^(-9) Tonne/ mm^3.

Comment

Working...
      X