• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • summoner117
    • Jan 2023

Contact Issue and Potential Violation of Boundary Condition

hi,
    I am modelling a suture placed in muscle as the muscle as contracting. I have 2 issues:
    (i) there appears to be penetration of muscle into the suture despite use of auto penalty, update penalty, non-symmetric stiffness, increased penalty factor, and augmentation. the less rigid material (muscle) is also set as the primary surface.
    (ii) I have set a boundary condition to constrain the suture not to rotate in xyz but it appears to be rotating?

the model runs with error termination. any kind help would be very much appreciated. thank you.
    Attached Files
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

The rotational boundary conditions are only used by shells, so they have no effect here.

I'm not sure what's happening with the contact, but when I switched to facet-to-facet, it seems to work fine. I've attached my modified version.

Best,

Steve

Attached Files
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• summoner117
      • Jan 2023

Thank you very much, I will work further with this model. much appreciated.

Comment

• NicoleTueni
        • Jun 2023

Hi,

I am modeling the gleno-humeral joint contact during shoulder abduction movement. Since the sliding elastic contact was leading to a lot of penetration, I used the facet-on-facet one with a high penalty. It is however still leading to penetration.
        What could be the problem?

Thank you!​

Comment

Working...
        X