• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmrahman
    • Nov 2019

Extracting material point data and update at regular interval

Hi,

I would like to implement a growth and remodeling scheme in FEBio, where the material properties will be updated after a certain steps. I was able to create a new material and register it. However, I would like to save material parameters at every time step and call it using extracting material point data from the plot function. Moreover, the material points needs to be updated/remodeled after a certain steps (not every step). Is it or any similar procedure already implemented in FEBio code? If not, could you please help me or direct me any example, how to do that?

Thank you.
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

If you need extend the data that is stored at the material points, you need to create your own material point class. The usual mechanism is to derive a new material point class from FEMaterialPoint and then override the CreateMaterialPointData in your material class. There is some additional information on this in our developer's manual. Note that if you are using FEBio3, the syntax may have changed slightly. You can look at some of the material classes in FEBio as examples. For instance, the FEViscoElasticMaterial class is a good example that creates its own material point class. There is also a material called FERemodelingElasticMaterial that you might want to take a look at given your interest in growth and remodeling. Please take a look and let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• mmrahman
      • Nov 2019

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your help.

According to your suggestion, I was able to create a new material point class and build the solver. However, when I try to run a simulation using that material model, I get "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" error message. I tried to do debugging and it seems that the new material point class variables do not contain the initiated value and probably this makes the error. Could you please help me solving the problem?

Thanks.

Muhammed

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi Muhammed,

Just adding a note for the record that this issue was resolved. Let me know if you run into any other issues.

Cheers,

Steve
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
        X