Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linear solver test problem

Default Compiling febio

Sam,

I should note that I had problems compiling the source files in the FEBio subdirectory independently and then linking them on our ALTIX machines. I've attached the Makefile for the FEBio subdirectory that I use on our ALTIX machines.

Dave

Dave,
    I've installed your makefiles and changed the compiler and paths etc.
    I haven't tried this makefile yet, but with the others I get an error:-
    *** No rule to make target `assert.h', needed by `queue.o'. Stop.
    Any suggestions?
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by dsrawlins View Post
    Sam,

I should note that I had problems compiling the source files in the FEBio subdirectory independently and then linking them on our ALTIX machines. I've attached the Makefile for the FEBio subdirectory that I use on our ALTIX machines.

Dave

Default dependency files

Sam,

It looks like my file includes.bash is working differently on your machine than it is on mine. The reference to assert.h should not have been included in the dependencies.mk file. The advantage of using the dependencies.mk file is that you don't have to recompile all the files if you are just making a change in one file, but since you need to compile everything, I would recommend using the second Makefile I sent to you.

Dave

Hi Dave,

It seems for this specific problem WSMP outperforms Pardiso. Have you compared the two for other models on single and multiple threads? Specifically, which one is better if running on a single thread or is that an impossible question to answer due to variance between problems?

Also, this may be answered elsewhere, but do you include the non-symmetric solvers for WSMP in the compile as well?

Thanks,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by dsrawlins View Post
    The Pardiso linear solver included in the Intel MKL (math kernel library) is now implemented in FEBio for all platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac and Altix), and the WSMP linear solver is implemented in Linux and Altix. Here are the timings for this problem (box15.feb) on Altix:

Pardiso 11 seconds
    WSMP 11 seconds

For a larger problem (box40.feb, 806880 equations), I get the following timings:

Solver Time (1cpu) Time (4 cpus)

Pardiso 46:52 12:52
    PSLDLT 44:11 17:44
    WSMP 25:15 7:33

Dave