• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi Leo,

considering a continuous fiber distribution and a "Holmes-Mow" solid, are these relations always valid?:

The properties of a "neo-Hookean" solid are "E" (Young's modulus) and "v" (Poisson's ratio). They are related to H-A and lambda2 as follows:
    H-A = (1-v)E/(1-2v)(1+v)
    lambda2 = v E/(1-2v)(1+v)
    For a continuous fiber distribution these relations are not generally valid. In a continuous fiber distribution the confined (H-A) and unconfined (E) compression moduli depend on the properties of the ground matrix and the fiber modulus. H-A represents only the properties of the ground matrix whereas E combines ground matrix and fiber. To better understand this concept please see this paper, particularly section 2.5.

For a conewise-linear-elastic (CLE) solid matrix (Curnier et al., Journal of Elasticity, v 37, n 1, p 1-38, 1994-1995), the exact relations between H-A, lambda2 and compressive values of E and v are given in the Soltz paper, see eq. 24. A CLE model has four elastic constants (H-A, H+A, lambda2 and mu), whereas a solid mixture consisting of an isotropic neo-Hookean ground matrix (with properties E and v) and three identical and mutually orthogonal fiber bundles (with a tensile modulus related to ksi) has only three elastic properties (E, v and ksi). Therefore, in a strict sense, it is not possible to establish an exact equivalence between the Soltz model and the neo-Hookean + 3 fibers solid mixture. The relations proposed above represent a best approximation.

Basically, the reason that an exact equivalence cannot be found is because the neo-Hookean material has isotropic symmetry whereas the Soltz embodiment of the CLE theory uses cubic symmetry (a special case of the more general orthotropic symmetry CLE model proposed by Curnier et al.). If one would like to reproduce the Soltz model more accurately in FEBio, I suppose that it would be better to use an orthotropic elastic solid rather than the neo-Hookean solid I had originally suggested in this thread.

Please keep in mind that I myself no longer advocate using only three mutually orthogonal fiber bundles for modeling cartilage. In other words, even though Michael Soltz and I originally proposed to use the CLE model to describe cartilage, since then we have come to realize that a continuous fiber distribution provides even better agreement with observed experimental responses, as explained in this paper. Therefore I recommend using a spherical or ellipsoidal fiber distribution for the fibers, with an isotropic ground matrix, to model cartilage. These models are available in FEBio.

The properties of all three "fiber-exp-pow" solids are "ksi", "alpha" and "beta". To reproduce the Krishnan paper, you need to select
    alpha = 0
    beta = 2
    ksi = (H+A - H-A)/4
    A solid mixture containing a neo-Hookean solid and a fiber-exp-pow fiber simply superposes the strain energy densities of these two types of materials. The tensile fiber modulus in the limit of approaching zero strain from the positive side is equal to 4*ksi when beta=2 and alpha=0. This can be deduced from the description of this material in the User's Manual.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• Squid
      • Oct 2012

Dear Prof. Ateshian,

thanks a lot for the answer. To your knowledge, there is any published paper using the continuous fiber distribution implemented in FEbio?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Leo

Comment

• ateshian
        Developer
        • Dec 2007

Hi Leo,

The ellipsoidal fiber distribution model in FEBio is described in this paper.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• Squid
          • Oct 2012

Dear Prof. Ateshian,

thanks a lot for the answer. I was referring to papers reporting its application. I was trying to find works using this material model implemented in FEBio. Is the paper that you mentioned the only work?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Leo

Comment

• Squid
            • Oct 2012

Dear Prof. Ateshian,

sorry for the insistence on the topic but I would like to have an idea about possible values of "ksi", related to a model using continuous fiber distribution, determined for cartilage. There is any article I can refer to? I couldn't find any one in literature.

Comparing the fiber strain energy functions of paper and that one reported in the FEBio manual, I assume that the ksi value in FEBio is the fiber modulus. Isn't it? If it is the fiber modulus, does it means that the ksi value can reach magnitudes of at least 240 MPa considering a tensile modulus of 30 MPa?

Thanks a lot

Regards,

Leo

Comment

• ateshian
              Developer
              • Dec 2007

Hi Leo,

The paper I referenced in my previous response provides representative values of ksi as you request, based on comparisons with experimental measurements of the tensile response of human cartilage. You can also find representative values of ksi for engineered cartilage in this paper.

ksi is a material parameter in a power law representation for the response of fibers oriented along a particular spatial direction. The modulus of the fiber is related to ksi but not equal to ksi; the modulus varies with strain and also depends on the value of beta. See the Theory Manual to get a more detailed description of the elasticity modulus of an ellipsoidal fiber distribution material.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• Squid
                • Oct 2012

Dear Prof. Ateshian,

thanks a lot for your time, and yes I did see the mentioned material properties in the paper but I was wondering if there were other studies. Thank you very much also for the second paper, very useful!!!!

Regards,

Leo

Comment

• Squid
                  • Oct 2012

Dear Prof. Ateshian,

I had a look at the link you sent me concerning the fiber-exp-pow fiber formulation:

Originally posted by ateshian View Post
                  The tensile fiber modulus in the limit of approaching zero strain from the positive side is equal to 4*ksi when beta=2 and alpha=0. This can be deduced from the description of this material in the User's Manual.
                  but I cuould not find a way to obtain the relation ksi = (H+A - H-A)/4. Furthermore, the equations reported in section 4.1.3.6 differ from that ones in the .pdf version of the manual. Could you please help me to figure out how to obtain the above mentioned relation?

Thanks alot for your curtesy and availability.

Regards,

Leo

Comment

• ateshian
                    Developer
                    • Dec 2007

Hi Leo,

Please see the attached PDF explanation LeoResponse.pdf.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• Squid
                      • Oct 2012

Dear Prof. Ateshian,

thank you very much for the clarification and your precious time.

Regards,

Leo

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞