• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyrusrezvanifar
    • Jun 2020

Element/node IDs changing randomly after model modification

Hello,

I have noticed this issue in FEBio Studio and previously in PreView: when I remove a part from an object which consists of multiple parts with BC's and contacts already defined, it seems that all element/node IDs are changing randomly and are not held constant. As a result, removing a part would affect all the BC's, contacts, and rigid constraints for all other parts, and would require defining all those model features from scratch. Am I missing a point here or is it actually a bug in the software?

Thanks!
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

This is indeed an issue in the software and there is not really a solution to this. When working with "editable meshes", we always recommend to make any changes to the mesh before applying any boundary conditions.

I have thought about fixing this, but the issue is complex and there is no way to implement a solution that would prevent similar issues in every situation. At this point, I'm thinking about preventing users to make any changes to a mesh that has boundary conditions applied to it, unless they understand the consequences. (Again, this would only apply to "editable meshes" and not to primitives or CAD objects.)

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢