Thread: Updating Prescribed Nodal Boundary Conditions for FEBio 3

Default Updating Prescribed Nodal Boundary Conditions for FEBio 3

Hello,

I have a large number of model files made for v2.5 that I would now like to run in v3. Based on the v3 release notes and what I'm encountering when I try to run the files, the only thing from these files that is incompatible with v3 are the prescribed nodal BCs. I used v2.5's "<Value>**Name of Nodal Data here**</Value>" syntax to declare specific displacements for each node.

Manually changing all of the files to meet the new prescribed BC format would be time consuming so I am looking for better alternatives. If all else fails I can write a program to do it, but I'd like to fully explore my options before I spend time on that.

I've tried opening the files in FEBio Studio so I can re-save them in the correct format, but FEBio returns an error when I try to open them. Is the formatting of the prescribed nodal displacements causing the error or is it more likely some other problem?

If FEBio Studio doesn't work is there another more automated way to bring my files up-to-date?

Thanks,
    Adam Galloy

Hi Adam,

FEBioStudio is the proper tool for importing v2.5 files and exporting them into v3. If you get an error importing a file, that means the file contains either an incorrect statement, or has been modified to include one or more feature not supported by FEBioStudio. If you'd like to attach a sample file that's giving you trouble, we can look into it.

Best,

Gerard

Hi Adam,

As Gerard pointed out, you can convert from 2.5 to 3.0 with FEBio Studio. There is even a batch convert tool (File\Batch convert) that allows you to convert a large number of files simultaneously. Of course, this assumes that the 2.5 files can be read in, which appears to the issue.

Regarding the "value" parameter, this parameter is no longer supported in FEBio3, since a more flexible and powerful mechanism was implemented in FEBio3 for specifying heterogeneous model parameters. I can look into adding support for reading this parameter in FEBio Studio and automatically convert it to the new format. I don't think this would take very long, so please send me a model file (email steve dot maas at utah dot edu) and I'm happy to look into it. Once I have that addressed, you should be able to use to batch convert tool to convert all your files.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Alright, I will send an example of what I am trying to convert.

Thanks!

Adam