• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lyra
    • Jul 2019

Apply moment to a single point or several desired points in the model

Hi,

I was wondering if we can apply a moment to a single point or several points of the model? if so, would you please let me know which force type in the FEBio I should use to model a moment applied to the desired point(s) of a rigid body or non-rigid body object?

Best
  • apaz
    • Jun 2019

Hi Lyra,

As far as I know, moments can only be applied to rigid bodies. So, depending on the problem you are interested in, you can define a rigid material and locate the center of mass of the body at some important point for you. Then, through rigid constraints or joints definitions, you can apply those conditions you need. You can also use rigid contacts to transfer those rigid-body conditions to deformable bodies. Another approach would be to use a pair of nodal forces in opposite directions.

Regards,
    Alex

Comment

• lyra
      • Jul 2019

Thanks for your reply.

I have another question, in the rigid body constraints/rigid forces, there are torque constraints. Can I use them for applying a moment at the center of the mass of the rigid body? What is the corresponding unit for these torque values? Are they have a N.m in the case that I am using SI units (N for force and meters for length)?

For applying a specific torque in a specific direction, should I first specify the decomposed directions in the x,y, and z, and then for the magnitude of it should I change the corresponding load curves for the torque components to the desired value? Would be any differences if I multiply that desired value with the decomposed values of x,y, and z and use them as the values of the torque in x, y, and z while keeping the load curve as the default value which starts from (0,0) to and ends at (1,1)?
      Last edited by lyra; 09-27-2020, 08:02 AM.

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi Lyra,

In order to apply a torque to a rigid body's center of mass, you need to specify three rigid constraints, one for each of the torque vector components. (Actually, you don't need to specify the components that are zero.) The actual torque values used in FEBio are the product of the load curve (if one was assigned) and the value you specified in FEBio Studio (or in the input file). What I recommend is setting the target value in the edit fields in FEBio Studio and use the load curves to ramp the effective value from zero to its target. In other words, leave the load curve from (0,0) to (1,1). The units are indeed N.m in SI.

Cheers,

Steve
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• lyra
          • Jul 2019

Dear Steve,

Thank you so much for your useful and complete answer.

Best

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡