• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NataCalc
    • Jan 2019

Effective Stress (Von Misses Stress)

Hello,

I am working with xplt file in post view or FebioStudio. For failure criteria I am using the Von Mises Stress (Effective stress). I would like to export the distribution of Von Mises Stress in the deformed object for all elements. For now the only way I see is to select all elements and plot them in the graph as a function of time followed by exporting option. Is there other way to export Von Misses stress at certain time for all elements in deformed object?

Once I have exported Von Misses Stress into txt file I can see something like this

#Data : Effective stress

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    It would be good to know what is the structure of exported file in order to parse.

In Febio manual I could not find the Von Misses Stress for element variables. I would prefer to run my models again to store Von Misses Stress in appropriate format similar to "sx,sy and sz"

Thanks,
    Nataliya
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Nataliya,

You can export the data from PostView (or FEBio Studio) using File\Save and then select the ASCII option. You will see a dialog box popup where you can select what to export.

Alternatively, you can have FEBio write the effective stress to the log file directly, using the "effective stress" log variable. Please give this a try and let me know if that worked.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• tff
      • Mar 2019

Hi,

I want to save one of the steps of the xplt file as vtk format. However, when I try to save it using File/Save in FEBioStudio nothing happens at all. Besides, I cannot open the xplt in PostView2 and I get a pop-up error attached here. Would you please let me know how I could save the xplt file in vtk format in FEBioStudio?
      Attached Files

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi,

The export to VTK from FEBio Studio was added only recently, so you probably need to upgrade to a newer version. If you have the latest version from the web, please reach out to me via email (steve dot maas at utah dot edu) and I'll send you the latest development version, where I know this feature works.

FEBio Studio by default uses FEBio3 which uses a newer version of the xplt file format. That's probably why you cannot read the file in PostView. (By the way, we are no longer developing PostView and any bug fixes are only applied to FEBio Studio).

Cheers,

Steve
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• tff
          • Mar 2019

Dear Steve,

Thanks for your quick reply. I got the FEBioStudio's latest version and it works fine.

Bests

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡