Thread: Beam bending boundary conditions

Question Beam bending boundary conditions

Hi,

I'm trying to model the three-point bending test on beam and have some problem with the beam bending. Let the beam length be along X and its deflections along Y. The load is a pressure applied on the top face of the beam. To what concern the boundary conditions I have seen from another thread (https://forums.febio.org/showthread....bending+beam):
    “the bottom left edge of the beam should have fixed X and Y, the bottom right edge should have fixed Y and one of the faces in the X-Y plane should be fixed along Z (becoming a symmetry plane)”. What does it imply “fixed”: fixed displacement and rotations or only fixed displacements? I did some trials, but I cannot achieve remarkable deflection along Y.
    Can anyone give me some advices/suggestions in order to model the three-point bending of a beam? Thank you for your time!

Regards,
    Andrada

Hi Andrada,

Regard your question about this test, fixed means zero displacement along those directions of selected nodes, edges, or faces. Attached you find a simple model with those conditions as I understood them.

Regards,
    Alex

Beam.feb