• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • juliabea
    • Aug 2020

FEWarp on Mac Failed to Load

Hello,

I'm trying to use FEWarp on my Mac, and I believe I've done all the installation steps correctly according to the manual, but it fails to load when I open FEBio.

Here is what my febio.xml looks like:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <febio_config version="1.0">
    <linear_solver type="pardiso"></linear_solver>
    <import>/Applications/FEWarp/bin/osx/libfewarp_osx.dylib</import>
    </febio_config>
    (I copy & pasted the path from the file info so it should be correct)

And here is the error message I get when I load FEBio in my terminal:
    Failed loading plugin /Applications/FEWarp/bin/osx/libfewarp_osx.dylib
    Reason: Failed to load the file.

dlopen failed: dlopen(/Applications/FEWarp/bin/osx/libfewarp_osx.dylib, 2): Library not loaded: libiomp5.dylib
    Referenced from: /Applications/FEWarp/bin/osx/libfewarp_osx.dylib
    Reason: image not found
    I have the most recent version of FEBio (2.9.1) and I'm using a macOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Does anyone know how this can be fixed?

Thanks,
    Julia
    Attached Files
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi Julia,

Try placing libfewarp_osx.dylib in /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin and check to see if that folder also include libiomp5.dylib (it should). Then update Fabio.xml to <import>/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/libfewarp_osx.dylib</import>

Let me know if that still doesn't work.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• juliabea
      • Aug 2020

Originally posted by ateshian View Post
      Hi Julia,

Try placing libfewarp_osx.dylib in /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin and check to see if that folder also include libiomp5.dylib (it should). Then update Fabio.xml to <import>/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/libfewarp_osx.dylib</import>

Let me know if that still doesn't work.

Best,

Gerard
      Hi Gerard,

Thank you for the response. I tried what you said, and yes that folder did include libiomp5.dylib, but it's still not working. I got the same error message just with the new path. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
      Julia
      Attached Files

Comment

• ateshian
        Developer
        • Dec 2007

Hi Julia,

Which operating system are you using? On MacOS Mojave I am able to run the test example in FEWarp successfully by using the following terminal command:
        Code:
        febio2 -i test1.feb -cnf febio.xml
        This command is executed from the folder where test1.feb is located. I also have febio.xml located in that same folder.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• juliabea
          • Aug 2020

Hi Gerard,

I'm using a macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. I also tried using FEWarp on an OS X El Capitan without success (same error as earlier).

I tried the command you posted and got an error:
          FATAL ERROR: Failed reading FEBio configuration file febio.xml.
          I just copy/pasted the command you posted into the terminal. Was I supposed to edit anything before trying? test1.feb and febio.xml and febio2 are all in the same folder.

Thanks,
          Julia

Comment

• ateshian
            Developer
            • Dec 2007

Hi Julia,

To run the command I showed you, you should indeed have the febio.xml file in the same folder as test1.feb (which is also the folder from which you should issue this command). However, febio2 should be in /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin, as should all the dynamic libraries (libiomp5.dylib and libfewarp_osx.dylib). When you installed FEBio2.9.1, the installer would have added this folder (/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin) to your PATH environmental variable (you can confirm this by entering the command printenv at the terminal prompt and looking for PATH, which should include :/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin). This means that you can run febio2 from any folder and it will be able to find it in your Applications folder.

The febio.xml file located in the folder of test1.feb should contain the following:
            Code:
            	<import>/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/libfewarp_osx.dylib</import>
            </febio_config>
            Best,

Gerard

Comment

• juliabea
              • Aug 2020

Hi Gerard,

I realized that I wasn't specifically executing the commands from the folder where febio.xml was located. When I first entered "cd /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin" and then "febio2," the plugin was successfully loaded!

However, I still wasn't able to run the test example. I checked everything you said - I'm executing from the correct folder; this folder is in my PATH environmental variables; the febio.xml file looks correct; and test1.feb is in the same folder as febio.xml. I'm getting the following message:
              Code:
              Success loading plugin libfewarp_osx.dylib (version 0.0.0)
              Reading file test1.feb ...FAILED!
              FATAL ERROR: Failed opening input file test1.feb
              What could be causing this error? And is there a way to have febio automatically load the plugin without me specifying the folder first? (I checked and /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin is indeed in my PATH.)

Thanks,
              Julia

Comment

• ateshian
                Developer
                • Dec 2007

Hi Julia,

The error message Reading file test1.feb ...FAILED! suggests that the file test1.feb is not located in the directory from which you issued the command.

For completeness, let me clarify the following:
                - When I downloaded the FEWarp plugin from febio.org, I placed that folder in my Documents folder.
                - The file test1.feb is located in the subfolder examples within FEWarp.
                - I placed febio.xml in that folder (i.e., Documents/FEWarp/examples).
                - Within the Terminal window, I changed my directory to that folder by issuing the command cd ~/Documents/FEWarp/examples, then I typed febio2 -i test1.feb -cnf febio.xml. That's how I was able to run the plugin successfully.

If you want to load the FEWarp plugin everytime you run febio2, you can place febio.xml in /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin (i.e., replace or edit the one which is already there). Then, all you have to do to run test1.feb from within Documents/FEWarp/examples is to issue the command febio2 test1.feb

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• juliabea
                  • Aug 2020

Hi Gerard,

I am able to get the test file to run when all of my files are in the same folder, /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin. However, when test1.feb and febio.xml are in a separate folder (~/Documents/FEWarp/examples) and I issue the command from that folder, I can't run it because it fails to load FEWarp. Do you know why this might be?

Thanks,
                  Julia

Comment

• car207
                    • Jun 2020

Hello,

I am having similar issues, but with the FEBioHeat plugin. I have tried putting them all in the same folder (Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/) which now includes:
                    FEBioHeat febio.xml libfebioheat_osx.dylib
                    axial_HT.feb febio2 libiomp5.dylib

where axial_HT.feb is the model I am trying to run.

febio.xml looks like:

<import>/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/libfewarp_osx.dylib</import>
                    </febio_config>

The error I get when I run the command febio2 -i axial_HT.feb -cnf febio.xml from that directory is:

Failed loading plugin /Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/libfewarp_osx.dylib
                    Reason: Failed to load the file.

dlopen failed: dlopen(/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/libfewarp_osx.dylib, 2): image not found

Reading file axial_HT.feb ...FAILED!
                    FATAL ERROR: invalid value "isotropic Fourier" for attribute "material.type" (line 14)

I am also not able to run successfully with FEBioStudio and have tried similar troubleshooting methods. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Carly

Comment

• maas
                      Lead Code Developer
                      • Nov 2007

Hi Carly,

It looks like the config file does not load the febioheat plugin. Instead you are trying to load the fewarp plugin. Try changing the <import> line to:

Code:
                      <import>/Applications/FEBio2.9.1/bin/libfebioheat_osx.dylib</import>
                      Let me know if that worked.

Cheers,

Steve
                      Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
                      Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• car207
                        • Jun 2020

Well that was a silly error and a quick fix. Sorry for not catching that and taking some of your time. Thanks Steve, I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍