• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kdwyer
    • Jun 2020

defining fiber direction

Hello,
    I was wondering if there is any advice in defining fiber direction transmurally in an ellipsoid (i.e. increasing the fiber direction by 10deg as you move from inner to outer surface). I was hoping to use the mat_axis function for every element, however I am not sure if the element numbering is consistent in the ellipsoid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

Are you using a structured mesh (e.g., hex elements that form multiple layers transmurally) or an unstructured mesh (e.g., tet elements)?

Also, please take a look at a Case Study we posted recently on the FEBio Knowledge Base, related to cardiac mechanics. Is this the type of model you need to create? (If so, I can share with you a C++ code that can generate the mesh and material axes.)

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• kdwyer
      • Jun 2020

I am using a structured mesh. Yes the case study is exactly what I am looking for - I would greatly appreciate taking a look at the C++ code.

Thank you very much!
      Kiera

Comment

• ateshian
        Developer
        • Dec 2007

Hi Kiera,

I have attached the C++ code (LandVentricle.cpp.zip). The dimensions of the ellipsoid are hard-coded using the formulas from the paper by Land et al. , see their equations 2.6 through 2.12. If you need to change the dimensions, check the parameters rs and rl in the code and the paper.

You can compile the code with this command:
        Code:
        c++ -o LandVentricle LandVentricle.cpp
        When you execute the code it will prompt you for the number of elements you want along the wall thickness, the circumference, and the axial direction. It will also prompt you for the output filename, which should have the file extension .feb. You can import this file into FEBioStudio and View->Toggle material axes to see those axes. You can use the wireframe mode (View->Toggle wireframe) to see axes inside the model.

The material coded in the C++ code is "isotropic elastic" so don't forget to change that material to what you need.

Let me know if you need further clarifications.

Best,

Gerard
        Attached Files

Comment

• kdwyer
          • Jun 2020

Hi Gerard,
          Thank you so much - the C++ code worked great! I am having a little trouble however seeing the material axes while in FE Studio. Is there any setting I should be on for the View > Toggle material axes to work?

I really appreciate your help, thank you!

Comment

• ateshian
            Developer
            • Dec 2007

Hi Kiera,

The current version of FEBioStudio is in beta. You may have to toggle the Material Axes a couple of times, hopefully that should work.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞