• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Abha
    • May 2020

Effect of mesh size on Fluid and FSI models

Hello!

I am using FEBio version 2.9 on Windows 8.1 Pro to study the flow of two Newtonian liquids flowing inside two concentric cylindrical tubes in a two-dimensional plane. The inner tube has a finite thickness. I used two models-
    1. Fluid Mechanics- the material of inner tube is rigid (no rigid body has been used). This is achieved simply by fixing X, Y velocities=0 at those nodes where the fluids interact with walls of inner tube. Fluid_TwoLiquids_CoarseMesh.feb
    2. FSI- the material of inner tube is solid neo-Hookean. FSI interface traction is applied along the walls of tube. FSI_TwoLiquids_CoarseMesh.feb

Other common boundary conditions are-No slip at the outer walls, zero dilation at the outlets and at those nodes which are common to the no-slip boundaries and inlet.
    Common surface loads-normal velocity at the inlet (Magnitude 1, smooth from 0 to 1), Backflow and Tangential Flow stabilizations at inlets and outlets.

I expected a parabolic velocity profile in both cases. I am puzzled by the effect of mesh refinement on my solutions. I observed that a finer mesh gives a plug velocity profile while a coarse mesh gives the expected parabolic profile.
    I tried with one liquid flowing in a channel, the results were opposite; a finer mesh gave the exact parabolic profile while a coarse mesh gave a plug profile.

Kindly help me in understanding this ambiguity or if there is any mistake in my model. Thank you for your patient read.
    Fluid_TwoLiquids_CoarseMesh.pngFluid_TwoLiquids_FineMesh.png

Abha
Working...
X
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡