X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • car207
    • Jun 2020

Artery Stenting Questions

I am new to FEBio and am trying to figure out a way to simulate stenting in the pulmonary artery and have run into a few questions:

1.) Does anyone know a good way to setup a very simple stent expansion? To start, I am simply trying to expand a cylinder. The first issue I run into is that I don't believe FEBio has a way to prescribe displacement using cylindrical coordinates. I tried to get around this by centering the cylinder on the origin (0,0,0), and prescribing displacement in each quadrant using conversions from polar to cylindrical coordinates. In the following code, I attempted to expand the cylinder radially by 2 by applying the following displacement equations to the surfaces in the quadrants specified. When I only apply this technique to the first and third quadrants alone, it works. However, it will not work on the 2nd and 4th quadrants. I'm assuming these contain the nodes that lie on the Y axis and thus arctan(Y/X) cannot be defined.

<Boundary>
    <prescribe bc="y" node_set="Quad 1 and 4 Y">
    <scale lc="1" type="math"><math>2*sin(atan(Y/X))</math></scale>
    <relative>0</relative>
    </prescribe>
    <prescribe bc="x" node_set="Quad 2 and 3 X">
    <scale lc="2" type="math"><math>2*cos(180+atan(Y/X))</math></scale>
    <relative>0</relative>
    </prescribe>
    <prescribe bc="y" node_set="Quad 2 and 3 Y">
    <scale lc="3" type="math"><math>2*sin(180+atan(Y/X))</math></scale>
    <relative>0</relative>
    </prescribe>
    <prescribe bc="x" node_set="Quad 1 and 4 X">
    <scale lc="4" type="math"><math>2*cos(atan(Y/X))</math></scale>
    <relative>0</relative>
    </prescribe>
    </Boundary>

I would really appreciate any input (or a simpler way to accomplish the task of expanding a cylinder radially).

2.) Even if the above technique worked along the Y axis, it still would not suffice if the stent was moved anywhere but the origin. Does FEBio have a way to create a local coordinate system? For example, if the stent was imported at a different location and rotation, how would I handle this?

3.)My vessel geometry needs to be patient specific. The images were segmented and then the surface meshes were processed in Meshmixer. When I import the vessels, they look like hollow objects with two surfaces--inner and outer separated by the wall thickness I prescribed. How do I tell FEBio to "fill the gap" in the vessel wall between the interior and exterior surface meshes? The simulations fail because the geometries that I applied materials to are not solid. I have been importing/exporting as .stl files, could this be part of the problem?

4.) I want to be able to edit the .feb file. However, when I go to import it back in, FEBio Studio cannot import it because it cannot recognize the "NodeSet" tag that it created. Even if I export a FE model, make no changes, and then import the same model, I cannot get FEBio Studio to read it in.

Help or comments on any of the above inquiries would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Carly
    Attached Files
  • car207
    • Jun 2020

I figured out question #1 by adding prescribed X displacement boundary condition to the sides of the cylinder using the scale input: <math>X+(2/3)X</math>.
    And then adding prescribed Y displacement boundary condition to the sides of the cylinder using the scale input: <math>Y+(2/3)Y</math>. This increases the cylinder radius by 2/3. And then I can change the expansion by changing this scaling factor.

Comment

• crandallc
      • May 2020

Hi - I ran into the same problem as your 3rd bullet when importing a .STL from SolidWorks - I was able to solve it by exporting the model as a .STEP file rather than .STL. Hope that is helpful.

Comment

• wzaylor
        • May 2020

Carly, for question 4, are you editing your model in FEBio preview after you make your edits to the .feb file? If you have a completed model after editing the .feb file, then you can run the model through the command line and avoid having to import the model into FEBio preview (see section 2.3 in the User manual: https://help.febio.org/FEBio/FEBio_um_2_9/index.html). It would be useful to import the model with nodesets included, but this could be a work around.

Thanks,
        -Will

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞