X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lexiedm14
    • Nov 2019

Negative jacobian detected during domain initialization

I have been working on a new knee model. In this model, I used different bony anatomy but still use the same stl files for the ligaments. During my new simulation, I have been getting this following error: Negative jacobian detected during domain initialization Domain: Part3. Part 3 is the ACL and I haven't had this problem with previous models even though I am doing everything exactly the same with the setup of the ligament.

What do you think could be the cause for this?
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

One common cause for this error is that shell thickness was not assigned to non-rigid shells. If you don't have any shells in your model, then I suspect that Part3 was not meshed, and that only the exterior surface mesh was exported. If that was not the cause, it might be helpful for us to see the actual model file.

Cheers.

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• lexiedm14
      • Nov 2019

Hi, Steve.

I have done everything exactly the same as my previous knee models. I have even used a working model as a template and switched out the bones for this current subject and I still get the negative jacobian during domain initialization.

Would you like me to email you the file?

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Sure, you may email it to steve dot maas at Utah dot edu.

Steve

Comment

• rford03
          • Jun 2020

Hi all,

I am having a similar issue, in that my .msh file imported from gmsh has a negative jacobian detected during domain initialization. Gmsh did not indicate any errors, and when using the mesh inspector there appears to be no negative jacobians and no shells.

Was a solution to this problem found?

Ryan

Comment

• maas
            Lead Code Developer
            • Nov 2007

Hi Ryan,

The problem in lexiedm14's mesh was thin slivers. If you can upload or email me (steve.maas@utah.edu) your model, I'd be happy to take a look at it and see what the issue could be.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• avb2132
              • May 2020

Hi Steve,

I'm having similar issues with my model too where I'm getting the following error: "Negative Jacobian detected during domain initialization". I am simulating a tissue indentation which is very similar to the procedure shown in tutorial 9 in the PreView user manual. I've been able to get this model to run without issues before while using the exact mesh recommended in in tutorial 9. However, after modifying my mesh to have considerably more elements (while keeping everything the same), I'm now getting the initialization error. Based on your comment above mentioning "thin slivers", I'm beginning to wonder if some of my elements in the tissue are too small.

May I email you my model and see if you could recommend any fixes? I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
              Andrew

Comment

• maas
                Lead Code Developer
                • Nov 2007

Hi Andrew,

Yes, please email me the model and I'd be happy to take a look (steve dot maas at utah dot edu).

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• tomisinajayi
                  • Jun 2023

Hello Steve,

I am having the error of "Negative jacobian detected during domain initialization". Both the error and the mesh inspector are showing me elements that have negative jacobians, and I have been finding each one and deleting them, but am still getting the same error. Based on your earlier comment about thin slivers, I think my model may have this issue. May I email you my febio model so you can take a look at it, please? Thank you,

Tomisin Ajayi

Comment

• maas
                    Lead Code Developer
                    • Nov 2007

Hi Tomisin,

Sure, feel free to send me the model. I'd be happy to take a look at it.

Best,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍