• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thiago
    • May 2020

Modelling a confined cyclic compression of a biphasic system

Hello.
    We are simulating this kind of experiment: The bi-phasic sample is initially pre-compressed, then we give enough time to the sample to relax the stress and finally we apply a cyclic compression at a certain frequency.
    Since we need the contact interface between the sample and the piston to:
    a) allow fluids to flow through the interface
    b) don't pull the sample during the positive slope movement of each cycle
    it seems like a good solution would be to model the piston with two parts: a rigid body (that i can make move by defining the displacement at each step) connected with a rigid contact to a flat plate (with a very high E modulus to be considered not deformable) which is connected to the sample through a biphasic contact.
    So, is this a good approach for modelling this experiment?
    If this is a good approach, can you please help me to understand all the 'properties' we have to set in the biphasic contact?

Thank you
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

You can model the piston with a rigid body only. There is no need to create an additional elastic material and attach it to the rigid body. You just need a mesh associated with the rigid body to define the contact surface. A planar surface will do for confined compression.

Since you want the piston to allow fluid to flow through it, you can use the "sliding-elastic" contact interface and apply "fixed fluid pressure" boundary condition to the surface of the biphasic domain; this will allow for fluid to flow across that boundary. There is no need to use the "sliding-biphasic" contact interface.

The recommended settings for "sliding-elastic": auto-penalty=yes, penalty= a number between 1 and 10, the higher value minimizes the overlap between the contact surfaces, two-pass = no. If you don't get good convergence with a higher penalty and if you get too much overlap with a lower penalty, then set laugon = yes and try the default setting for the tolerance.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• Thiago
      • May 2020

Hi Gerard, thanks for the response.

Comment

• Thiago
        • May 2020

Hi all.
        We are conducting an analysis on the material's response under several values of (Frequency, Amplitude) of the applied single cycle cyclic compression. The model work well for certain values of F, A but runs into troubles when F>=1Hz and A>=5%h simultaneously, where h is the height of the sample. I already tried to refine the mesh and define smaller time steps as well, but this doesn't seem to be the solution to this error termination.
        I would really appreciate if you will take a look at my model and will tell me your opinion about it.

NewModel2.0_job.feb
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞