• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • konris87
    • Nov 2019

Febiostudio - contact possible bug

Greetings everyone,

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a model with sliding contact surface pairs defined. The surfaces are defined in a separated geometry file. The problem is that when i load a .feb model in FebioStudio and check on the sliding contact the master and slave surfaces are swapped. Probably this is just a visualization bug.

Best regards,
    Konstantinos
    Konstantinos Risvas
    Dipl.-Ing. MSc Electrical and Computer Engineer
    Ph.D. Candidate, Research Associate, VVR group
    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
    University of Patras
    26500, Rio-Patras, Greece
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi Konstantinos,

In FEBioStudio, we recently changed the old nomenclature for "master" and "slave" surfaces to "primary" (previously slave) and "secondary" (previously master) surfaces. The reason is that the old terminology is outdated (and also uses a poor choice of descriptive words): Whereas the old nomenclature implies that a ray issued from the slave surface must remain normal to the master surface, this is actually only valid for the older contact algorithms in FEBio. The newer algorithms shoot a ray from, and normal to, the primary surface, which intersects the secondary surface.

FEBioStudio still recognizes the <master> and <slave> tags in the input file for backward compatibility, but for logical reasons it displays the primary surface first, then the secondary surface. It is not actually swapping the surfaces in the contact algorithm.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• konris87
      • Nov 2019

Ok,

thanks a lot for your reply mr Ateshian
      Konstantinos Risvas
      Dipl.-Ing. MSc Electrical and Computer Engineer
      Ph.D. Candidate, Research Associate, VVR group
      Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
      University of Patras