X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csalcido
    • May 2020

Modelling Biting

I am new to FEBio and I am trying to model some jaws biting. I am more used to interfaces in software such as Hypermesh and Abaqus and there's a few things I was curious about:

Is there a way for me to edit the boundary conditions to include rotational movement? The only place I can see that in is the rigid body constraint which affects the whole model and not a specific area of nodes/faces/elements (i.e. the point of the bite I am simulating or the mandibular condyle).

Output includes reaction forces, which I would like to use for comparative bite force on tooth surfaces. However, when I run it in PostView, it does not report any reaction forces even though it still reports stress, strain, and pressure.

Thank you!
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

Is there a way for me to edit the boundary conditions to include rotational movement?
    Rotations can only be prescribed to rigid bodies. It is possible to partition your mesh by selecting desired nodes/faces/elements, then associate this partition with a rigid body using a rigid interface (Physics->Add Contact->Rigid). You can prescribe the rotation to the rigid body, which will impose that rotation on those faces.

Output includes reaction forces, which I would like to use for comparative bite force on tooth surfaces. However, when I run it in PostView, it does not report any reaction forces even though it still reports stress, strain, and pressure.
    If you have rigid bodies in your model and requested "reaction forces" as a plot variable, selecting any of the elements from the rigid body will display the reaction forces for that body.

Reaction forces can also be displayed for nodes that have "prescribed displacement" boundary conditions. Select any of those nodes to plot the reaction force there.

These are the only two cases for which the plot variable "reaction forces" will display a result.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞