• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcman146
    • Apr 2020

Pressure BC for Blood Flow Model

Hi there!

I am relatively new to FEBio and need some help. I am constructing a model of blood flow through an artery in PreView. For the boundary conditions, there is a velocity applied at the inlet of the artery, and a pressure at the outlet. However, when I run the simulation in FEBio I get a fatal error message that the pressure value is invalid. This error occurs whether I have the pressure fixed or prescribed. (I have the most recent versions of PreView and FEBio.)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

In fluid analyses, the fluid pressure is not an essential boundary condition, so you should not use the fixed or prescribed "fluid pressure" BC in FEBioStudio (these are reserved for biphasic and multiphasic analyses). Instead, you can either prescribe the "fluid dilatation" = -(fluid pressure)/(bulk modulus) or you can use the surface load called "fluid flow resistance" with the resistance set to 0 and the "pressure_offset" set to your desired fluid pressure.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• mcman146
      • Apr 2020

Thank you Gerard!

I applied a prescribed "fluid dilatation" and that fixed the issue I was having with my boundary condition. However, now I am running into a difference problem in which I get "FATAL ERROR: Model initialization failed," with no reason as to why the termination occurred. Do you have any suggestions as to what I should look for to solve this issue?

Thanks,
      Lauren

Comment

• ateshian
        Developer
        • Dec 2007

Hi Lauren,

Would you be able to share a file that exhibits this error? It would make it easier to figure out the issue.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• mcman146
          • Apr 2020

Unfortunately, it is too large to post to the forum.

Comment

• ateshian
            Developer
            • Dec 2007

You can email it to me (ateshian@columbia.edu) or post it as a shareable linked file.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞