• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NataCalc
    • Jan 2019

long duration of calculation

Hello,

In my FEA there are viscoelastic+2nd order Ogden material models, hex meshed single bar and boundary conditions extracted from 4D CT scan which capture the extension-flexion-extension of the wrist. To make sure that boundary conditions reproduce well the physiological movement, the rigid bodies with two bones model and applied boundary conditions from 4d CT scan was run. In actual model boundary conditions are applied to the end of bars. The question is it normal that simulation is running for months? The deformation is relatively large. The interpolation does not help significantly to optimise the convergence therefore the run time.
    Following Febio parameters are used:

max_refs=150; %Max reforms
    max_ups=0; %Set to zero to use full-Newton iterations
    opt_iter=150; %Optimum number of iterations
    max_retries=150; %Maximum number of retires
    dtmin=(1/numTimeSteps)/100; %Minimum time step size
    dtmax=1/numTimeSteps; %Maximum time step size
    tStep=0.3; %Duration of step
    min_residual=1e-15;
    Mag_val=1;
  • NataCalc
    • Jan 2019

The problem was solved. The large deformation causes long run. By refining the deformation improves not only the convergence but CPU time as well.

Comment

• maas
      Lead Code Developer
      • Nov 2007

Hi,

I'm glad to hear you were able to make the model run faster. I just wanted to add a comment on the max_retries parameter.

In general there is very little gained from increasing this parameter from its default value. The bigger you make this value, the smaller the changes to the time step size when a time step fails. When a time step fails, FEBio will retry the time step with a smaller step size. The new step size is calculated from:

new_dt = old_dt - old_dt / (max_retries + 1)

So, when setting the max_retries to a large value, you are decreasing the step size by very small amounts when a time step fails. It is very likely that FEBio will continue to fail for many tries, until the step size has decreased sufficiently. In general, I advice to leave this parameter to its default value of 5 and instead try to avoid failure of time steps by adjusting other parameters in the model.

Cheers,

Steve
      Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
      Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• NataCalc
        • Jan 2019

Thank you Steve. I will take this into account.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍