Shenoy Material Model: Different results obtained from simplified and full geometry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adilkhan
    • Mar 2020

Shenoy Material Model: Different results obtained from simplified and full geometry

Hello,
    I have been trying to simulate the contraction of a cell (modeled as a spherical cavity) in a cuboidal ECM (modeled using the Shenoy material plugin) such that the cell radius reduces by 0.3 times its initial value. The examples provided with the plugin simulate 1/8th of the geometry, taking into consideration the existence of xy, xz and yz planes of symmetry. I have (i) tried to recreate the example with 1/8th of the geometry (Case 1) and (ii) tried to simulate the contraction of the cell in the ECM without any model simplification (Case 2).

After obtaining the results, I face 3 questions.
    1. The results are markedly different for the two cases. (eg. the maximum stress observed in case 1 is 3.02 kPa while that in case 2 is 0.693 kPa). Why is this so?
    2. Why do both the cases lack a spherical symmetry in the stress distribution, considering that the cuboidal ECM has an edge length sufficiently (40 times) larger than the cell radius?
    3. When case 2 is visualized using a plane-cut perpendicular to the x-axis, the cell instead of contracting, appears to move along the negative z direction. (However, the results appear fine when plane-cut is perpendicular to the z-axis). I am guessing this is due to how the 'normal displacement' B.C. is defined, however I can't be sure because I could not find any theory on its implementation. Can you shed some light on this matter?

I have attached my simulation files.
    Attached Files
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

When you set the "surface_hint" flag to 1, FEBio assumes that the surface is a sphere centered at the origin. In your model, the sphere is not centered at the origin and FEBio is not calculating the correct surface normals. This explains your point 1 and 3 above. Try moving the geometry so that the sphere is centered at the origin and try again.
    Regarding 2, I suspect that the results will improve if you refine your mesh near the surface of the sphere. You can play with the R-bias parameter a bit. If you lower this value (i.e. less than 1) you will refine the mesh near the spherical surface.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• adilkhan
      • Mar 2020

Your suggestions worked. Thank you very much.

Regards,
      Adil

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞