• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjadelis
    • Feb 2020

Importing older models (mi29.feb) into PreView2

Hi,

I'm trying to use the index finger model included in the test suite of FEBio, mi29.feb, to collect data on loading of the soft tissues in the extensor hood. I would like to modify the given boundary conditions; however, when trying to import the model into PreView2 using import FE model, I am able to import the geometry but it throws an error stating it ignores the shell formulation tag. Running it from PreView, or exporting it and running the resulting .feb from the command line, both result in negative jacobian errors. I believe that this might be due to PreView no longer knowing how to treat the elements for this as the model may have been made in an older version? (either shell elements with zero thickness or volume elements with zero/negative volume)?

I was wondering if there was any guidance on how to import this model into PreView or FEBio Studio, or if there are any other ways of rebuilding or making use of the model. Let me know what you think.

Best,
    Chris
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Chris,

The new shell formulation defines the through-the-thickness interpolation differently and apparently it finds inverted elements for some of the shell elements. I'm afraid there is not much that can be done about this, besides locating the troubling elements and adjusting the shell thicknesses of these elements. It looks like the problems are occurring near the front end of the tendon and fiber materials, where the shells appear to make a large twist. If this twisting is not that important I suspect that by flattening the elements in this area the problem might be resolved. Please give that a try and let us know if that worked.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢