• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brendym
    • Jan 2020

Requesting Assistance: Steps on Configuring Visual Studio 2019

Hi everyone,

I would like to be able to create my own plugin to model the mechanics of annulus fibrosus material. I have been attempting the past few days to get the FENeoHookeanPI plugin example from the FEBio website to compile a dll that will run on FEBio without crashing it. After several attempts at many different things, I have not had much success, probably because I know next to nothing about C++ and DLLs.

Therefore, I would like to ask the community for a simple but specific step-by-step guide on how to get this plugin complied and running on FEBio 2.9.1 using Visual Studio 2019 on a Windows 7 operating system. I am very sorry to bother everyone, but I have tried my best to get it to work on my own and it is apparent that I need some assistance from someone more knowledgeable than me. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Brendyn
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Brendyn,

Unfortunately, you are two steps ahead of us since we are still developing in VS 2015. (We are moving to VS2017 but ran into some issues so not sure when that will happen.) I think there is a way to configure VS2019 to build for VS2015 compatibility, but I'm not sure.

In any case, the version of VS matters and you will not be able to link your dll against the FEBio libraries if you are not using the correct version of VS. The executable online is built with VS 2013, but there should be an executable (and libraries) built with VS 2015 in the SDK download.

If you are new to C++ and VS I suggest maybe check out some online tutorials. We also have some more detailed instructions on how to build plugins in our developer's manual.

I hope this helps to get you started. Let us know if you need any further help.

Best,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢