• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haaris
    • Oct 2019

Extruding Surfaces

Hi,

I'm trying to create a geometry with a cone vertically cut in half, and then extruding that face. I've been able to extrude surfaces with some of the geometries available, but it doesnt seem to work at all for others, including this one. (PreView just crashes)

Is this something to do with how I'm using the extrude tool or is there a better way to do this? If not then I'll probably try importing a mesh - is there any software you would recommend for creating the mesh? (Preferably one that is free for students?)

Thanks for the help,
    Haaris

Edit: I've made an STL on solidworks and tried importing that, and it works but it's not a volume mesh - if there's any way to convert surface to volume mesh please let me know as that would probably address the earlier problems too!
  • pcundergrad
    • Oct 2019

Hi Haaris,

I had a go at creating the geometry you've described and I didn't have any problems (assuming I haven't misunderstood what it is you're trying to do which is; create a cone with a Bottom Radius and Height of some value and a Top Radius equal to zero i.e. a pointed cone? Then cut it vertically through the centre, and extrude the new, exposed face?)

I did this by meshing a cone of Bottom Radius and Height = 1 and Top Radius = 0. I then meshed the cone with the default settings and selected all the elements on one half of the cone using the Graphics Toolbar and deleted these elements, thus exposing the new face. I then selected this face and used the Extrude Faces feature to extrude the face some distance.

I've attached some images which might make it clearer. Hope this helps.

Cone1.PNG

Cone2.PNG

Comment

• Haaris
      • Oct 2019

Originally posted by pcundergrad View Post
      Hi Haaris,

I had a go at creating the geometry you've described and I didn't have any problems (assuming I haven't misunderstood what it is you're trying to do which is; create a cone with a Bottom Radius and Height of some value and a Top Radius equal to zero i.e. a pointed cone? Then cut it vertically through the centre, and extrude the new, exposed face?)

I did this by meshing a cone of Bottom Radius and Height = 1 and Top Radius = 0. I then meshed the cone with the default settings and selected all the elements on one half of the cone using the Graphics Toolbar and deleted these elements, thus exposing the new face. I then selected this face and used the Extrude Faces feature to extrude the face some distance.

I've attached some images which might make it clearer. Hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1994[/ATTACH]
      Thanks a lot for trying that, it's exactly what I need to do - however for some reason, at the point of extruding it, preview just crashes for me. Good to know that it should work though! I'll try again on another computer or try reinstalling febio.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I just tried again, it crashes if I extrude the whole surface from the create menu - if I do it exactly like you did, extruding the faces from mesh menu, then it works. Thanks a lot!

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi,

I tried it with the new FEBio Studio and it seems to work fine. Since PreView is considered deprecated, I suggest you install FEBioStudio on your computer and try it with that. (FEBioStudio is the replacement for PreView and integrates most of PostView as well. It also comes with the latest version of FEBio, so you only need to install FEBioStudio to have everything in one package.) Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

Steve
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• Haaris
          • Oct 2019

Thanks for the advice! I'll switch to FEBio Studio from now on!

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍