• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MSirry
    • Jun 2010

Contour lines data

Hi,

I am building a 3D heart (left ventricle) model based on MRI images (2D slices). I got contour lines data (x,y,z), in excel sheet, representing the internal (endocardium) and external (epicardium) surfaces of the left ventricle. My goal was to utilize these data to model a 3D solid geometry of the left ventricle using PreView.
    After failing to incorporate these data in a file format that is readable by PreView, I manually fitted the data into an input file (.feb) by working out the required syntax to define individual nodes and elements, mimicking the format used by PreView to define solid tube geometry. Although the solid geometry was imported nicely into PreView, the manual processing was not feasible specially when considering more complex geometries.
    I was wondering if there is a procedure to easily import or incorporate such contour lines data into PreView?

Regards,
    Sirry
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Sirry,

From what I understand is that you only have contour lines, no elements yet. Is that right? Aside from importing the contour data, there is still the problem of meshing the model. You said did it manually. Can you send a couple of example files: contour data and feb model that you created. I'd like to get an idea of what this model looks like. Also, what file formats does your sofware support? Perhaps the easiest solution might simply be to support one of those file formats.

Thanks,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• MSirry
      • Jun 2010

Hi Steve,
      Thanks for the response.

That is right; I only have contour lines representing two surfaces. When stacked, they can construct the 3D geometry of the left ventricle.

I used SegmentŪ to create the contour lines of each surface which are exported in (.xls) format, yielding the slice number, and the x-y coordinates. When I created the model manually I treated each individual data point (x, y) in a contour line as a node. Then I assigned the coordinate (z) to each node depending on the slice order (number) in the stack, so that I obtained attributes that define the nodes location in the 3D domain. This was followed by rearranging all nodes, of the two surfaces, based on the z-value in ascending order. The whole procedure and definition of elements was inspired and guided by the syntax applied by PreView when creating a single-stack solid-tube geometry.

I am attaching the 3 files:
      1/ The contour lines data as exported by SegmentŪ.
      2/ The adjusted data to fit the feb syntax.
      3/ The resulted feb model.

Many thanks,
      Sirry

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi Sirry,

That must have taken some time to make that FE model. Impressive! I think I might be able to implement an automatic algorithm for what you did manually directly in PreView. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Cheers,

Steve.
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• MSirry
          • Jun 2010

Dear Steve,

I deeply appreciate your cooperation. Indeed, it took me two days to implement this procedure.

Before you proceed with the automatic algorithm, I thought it might be useful to draw you attention to some issues.

The contour lines data that I have provided represented the internal and external surfaces of the left ventricle. Usually these are not enough to model the heart since additional contour lines for the internal and external surfaces of the right ventricle might also be included, yielding more complex situation. The contours obtained from segmenting the left and right ventricles together most likely look like the (attached) drawing for a single slice. I believe such contour lines will then require a procedure to reconstruct the complete 3D heart model that is somehow different from the one I used to model the left ventricle only.

Thanks,
          Mazin

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞