• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mariza_unizar
    • Feb 2015

User Contact Definition for Capillary Effects

Dear FEBio users,

I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on how to implement a User Contact definition. The idea would be to modify the gap function to simulate for example capillary effects (i.e., when two surfaces are approaching, one is experiencing a "negative" traction force due to the fluid on the surface of the other).

Perhaps there is an easy way to simulate capillary effects in FEBio, but I couldn't find it.

Any hint will be appreciated!

Cheers,

MA
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

I'm afraid there is no easy way to do this. The only way is to write your own contact formulation. You could start by copying one of the contact formulations in FEBio into a plugin, and then making the necessary changes to the gap function there. Of course, changes to the gap function will also lead to changes into the residual and tangent stiffness matrix that will need to be taken into account. I'm not aware of anyone who has ever tried to write a custom contact plugin and we don't have any documentation on that particular plugin type, but if you do decide to pursue this, we'll be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Cheers,

Steve

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    😂
    🥰