• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmrahman
    • Nov 2019

Sliding with friction

Hi,

I am a new user in the forum. I would like to do a simulation of a cartilage block compressed by a rigid plate and then sliding back and forth to see the effect of friction coefficient at the mating surface. I created an input (sliding_with_gap_mooney_rivlin.feb) with a slight modification from the verification input file "co38.feb". I am observing, there is no change in the stress and strain conditions, when the block is sliding over the rigid surface. Could you please help me understand, why the stress and strains are not changing while sliding?

Thanks.
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

Try this problem with "sliding-elastic" instead of "sliding-with-gaps" and see if it works better. "sliding-elastic" is our most recent implementation of frictional contact, it may give you better results.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• mmrahman
      • Nov 2019

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I changed the contact type and now, I am seeing the expected behavior. One more question: I figured out "sliding-elastic" was derived from "sliding-biphasic" contact type. Do you recommend to use "sliding-biphasic" for the biphasic materials sliding on rigid surface? In the user manual, for the biphasic problems, "sliding2" was discussed (Version 2.9, Section 3.13.2), but unfortunately, I could not find any description of "sliding-biphasic".

Thanks.

Best,
      Muhammed

Comment

• brandonz
        • Oct 2014

Hi Muhammed,

I would recommend using "sliding-biphasic". "sliding-biphasic" is the more recent implementation of biphasic contact and generally gives better results.

Brandon

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡