X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haaris
    • Oct 2019

Fluid Flow Through a Porous Material

I am quite new to FEA in general and I have been trying to make a model for a situation where there is a porous material fixed in space (trying to model a rigid material at first and then will try poro-elastic material) and a pressure gradient externally (e.g., from one end of a cylinder to the other end) is causing fluid to flow through it. In this case it should be possible to adjust porosity and vary the flow rate... However I haven't been able to find a way to implement the fluid pressure boundary condition so far, under FSI analysis which I've been using in PreView.

Would this be possible in FEBio?

Thanks for any advice or help, I really appreciate it!
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

The FSI solver is not suitable for porous media problems. You need to use the biphasic solver (which is suitable for poroelasticity) to prescribe a fluid pressure across a porous material. A biphasic material requires the specification of an elastic solid to describe the deformable porous matrix and a permeability material to describe the resistance to flow in the presence of a pressure gradient. Currently it is not possible to select a rigid material for the porous matrix, so you need to select an elastic material and pick its modulus to be much higher (e.g. 1000 times) than the fluid pressure you expect to apply.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• Haaris
      • Oct 2019

Hi Gerard,

Just wanted to say thanks for the help, I've been able to get it to work now!

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍