• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingina
    • Feb 2015

Strain at boundaries of biphasic-solute model

Hi,

I've created a biphasic-solute model of free swelling of the cartilage and have a few questions about the strain data. My cartilage model is a simple cube divided into 3 layers with 2 different values of Young's Modulus (1st layer Young's Modulus = 10Mpa, 2nd layer Young's Modulus = 20Mpa, 3rd layer Young's Modulus = 20Mpa; the boundaries between the layers are refined). All sides are constrained apart from the top layer where I apply my concentration and strain over 1hr (the model can only expand in the z-direction).
    The model is working fine, I can see the swelling and the increase in concentration. However, when I plot the strain data, the strain is discontinuous at the boundaries (I used Z Lagrange strain). On the other hand, the displacement plots look fine, and I don't know whether I'm just using the wrong strain data for this? I've attached the relevant figures

Any insight into this would be much appreciated,

Many thanks.
    Kinga
    Attached Files
  • weiss
    • Nov 2007

Because you have different material properties in the two layers of adjacent elements at the interface, the stress and strain will be discontinuous at the interface. In the finite element method, only the nodal variables are typically guaranteed to be continuous across elements. In this case displacement, pressure are the relevant nodal variables. However their derivatives will not be continuous across element boundaries. Strain is obtained from the gradient of the displacement field, and stress is obtained from strain, so neither quantity will be continuous in general.

Best regards,

Jeff Weiss
    Jeffrey A. Weiss
    Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Utah
    Director, Musculoskeletal Research Laboratories
    jeff.weiss@utah.edu

Comment

• kingina
      • Feb 2015

Thank you very much for the clarification. Now I understand.

Regards,
      Kinga

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞