Thread: The best material model to choose for dorsal scapholunate ligament

Default The best material model to choose for dorsal scapholunate ligament

Hello,

I have to assign properties to dorsal scapholunate ligament in the wrist. From literature I have only linear stiffness and recently published paper with tensile and torsional structural properties of the native scapholunate ligament where they list one figure of loading-unloading curve and the length of the ligament. Unfortunately, they do not provide cross-section area making it difficult to calculate stress-strain curve out of load-displacement.

What material model will you suggest to use in this situation?: Neo-Hookean, Ogden ....?

Maybe I can get material parameters via optimisation paper experiment?

Fig1.png

Hi NataCalc,

Ligaments are probably best modeled using one of the fiber models in FEBio. The most general category that will likely fit the response you show is the fiber-exponential-power-law model.

You can get the dimensions of the dorsal scapholunate ligament from this paper.

Best,

Gerard

Thank you very much for information. In this paper they provide length and width of the dorsal ligament but I thought that cross-sectional area of the ligament perpendicular to the tension direction requires height and width?