• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mariza_unizar
    • Feb 2015

VTK export from PostView2 does not give all the variables

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to export a XPLT file to VTK. The geometry, elements, displacement and reaction forces are properly exported. However, other variables such as 'fluid flux' are not... Any clue if there's some kind of bug in PostView2 or where can I specify the variables I want to have exported?

Thanks!

MA
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Hi,

There were a couple of bugs in VTK export which prevented saving all states and all plot variables. This has now been fixed and we will make it available in the next release.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• mariza_unizar
      • Feb 2015

Thanks! Looking forward to it

Best

MA

Comment

• arion
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by ateshian View Post
        Hi,

There were a couple of bugs in VTK export which prevented saving all states and all plot variables. This has now been fixed and we will make it available in the next release.

Best,

Gerard
        Im using V2.4.1 but still, only the displacement domain is available.

Comment

• maas
          Lead Code Developer
          • Nov 2007

Hi,

I just tried it on a file in the test suite and it does seem that all the data is put in the vtk file. I've attached the VTK file that PostView produced. As you can see, all the data variables are there.

In your case, is the data missing from the file, or are you having trouble importing this data in another software?

Steve
          Attached Files
          Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
          Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• arion
            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by maas View Post
            Hi,

I just tried it on a file in the test suite and it does seem that all the data is put in the vtk file. I've attached the VTK file that PostView produced. As you can see, all the data variables are there.

In your case, is the data missing from the file, or are you having trouble importing this data in another software?

Steve
            Your file is correct. What version you are using? and how did you export to vtk. When im doing it, it only exports the displacement.

Comment

• maas
              Lead Code Developer
              • Nov 2007

This was done with PostView 2.4.1. I opened the bp04.xplt (from the FEBio test suite), selected the menu File\Save, then chose the vtk filter in the save dialog box. In the next dialog I selected "save current state only" (it tested it with the "save all state" option too). And then PostView generated the attached file.

I'm not sure why this wouldn't work for you. If you have multiple PostView versions installed, perhaps make sure you are using the correct one (check the Help\About box for the version number).

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• arion
                • Feb 2019

This was done with PostView 2.4.1. I opened the bp04.xplt (from the FEBio test suite), selected the menu File\Save, then chose the vtk filter in the save dialog box. In the next dialog I selected "save current state only" (it tested it with the "save all state" option too). And then PostView generated the attached file.

I'm not sure why this wouldn't work for you. If you have multiple PostView versions installed, perhaps make sure you are using the correct one (check the Help\About box for the version number).

Cheers,

Steve
                Can you try with my file:

Comment

• maas
                  Lead Code Developer
                  • Nov 2007

With your file it seems to work as well for me. I've attached the vtk output of state 5.

Cheers,

Steve
                  Attached Files

Comment

• arion
                    • Feb 2019

With your file it seems to work as well for me. I've attached the vtk output of state 5.

Cheers,

Steve
                    Yes. im trying to open it in paraview but it only reads displacement with an error on the other parameters.

Comment

• maas
                      Lead Code Developer
                      • Nov 2007

In that case I suspect that there is a formatting issue. I do see a lot of unnecessary newlines in the vtk file output by PostView. I wonder if that's part of the problem. I'll give it a try in paraview myself and see if I can narrow down the cause.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• arion
                        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by arion View Post
                        Yes. im trying to open it in paraview but it only reads displacement with an error on the other parameters.
                        Thanks. the reason im using paraview is that in postview, after you cut a plane and play the displacement, the cut plane still shows the base mesh without deformation.

Comment

• maas
                          Lead Code Developer
                          • Nov 2007

Hi,

The VTK export issue is fixed and a new version (PostView 2.4.2) was uploaded to the web. Let us know if you find any other issues.

I will also look into adding the capability in PostView to deform the cut plane (or add a new plot type that does that) and have that in the next version.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍