• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ateshian
    Developer
    • Dec 2007

Flow in an Expanding Pipe

Starting with FEBio 2.7, a fluid solver is available for performing computational fluid dynamics analyses. In this example, we examine flow in an expanding pipe, which is characterized by flow reversal in the expanded pipe domain.

The FEBio model file is FlowExpandingPipe.feb.zip. It was created in PreView 2.0.0, using two cylinders (diam=1, height=3 and diam=2, height=3) and a cone (bottom diam=1, top diam=2, height=1), meshed and merged together. A biased mesh was created near the no-slip boundary using the PostBL tool in PreView, with bias=2 and segments=5).

The fluid is Newtonian with density=1, bulk modulus=1e9, shear viscosity=0.01, bulk viscosity=0.

Zero fluid velocity was prescribed on the lateral surfaces (pipe wall) to enforce the no-slip condition. A normal velocity was prescribed on the upstream face (vn=-1 for inflow, with parabolic profile) with a load curve that increased from 0 to 1 from time t=0 to t=1. Zero fluid dilatation was prescribed on the downstream face (equivalent to zero fluid pressure). Back flow stabilization (beta=1) and tangential stabilization (beta=1) were also prescribed on the downstream face, to enhance the stability of the analysis in the presence of flow reversal.

A fluid analysis step was selected, of type dynamic, with 140 times steps of 0.1 (total time of 14). The solver used Broyden's method 50 max updates, turning off "Reform on diverge" and "Reform each time step" to increase computation efficiency.

Results are plotted with PostView 2.3.1. A plane cut is used which is normal to the X-direction. An animation of the fluid velocity magnitude shows that a central stream travels from the inlet to the outlet.

An animation of the streamlines clearly demonstrates that flow reversal develops in the pipe expansion.

It is also possible to plot the motion of particles that are released at the inlet face and trace their paths.

This fluid solver expands the set of features available in FEBio.
    Last edited by ateshian; 06-02-2020, 02:16 PM.
  • ebenos
    • Jul 2018

Could you upload again the FlowExpandingPipe.feb? Unfortunately, it cannot be downloaded. Thank you in advance.
    Lefteris Benos

Comment

• ateshian
      Developer
      • Dec 2007

Hi Lefteris,

The file resides on a server which is different from the febio.org server, since it is too big to be uploaded to this forum. I was able to download the file from various computers so I don't think that the link is broken. However, the download may be slow because the file is about 2.3 MB and your browser will probably try to convert its display to xml format. Please try again and if you still can't download it, email me at ateshian@columbia.edu and I will send the file to you in zipped format.

Best,

Gerard

Comment

• ebenos
        • Jul 2018

I appreciate your prompt reply! It works now.

Best,
        Lefteris

Comment

• ateshian
          Developer
          • Dec 2007

Here is the FS2 version of this file (FEBio4). FlowExpandingPipe.fs2

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂