• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mhhmp
    • Sep 2017

The maximum elements number of STL file in Preview

Hi there,

I just have tried to simulate the actual mechanical behavior of the structure (radial compression, three point bending, and so on) that I designed using FEBIO.
    I created STL file using Solidworks, and remeshed my STL files using 3MATIC.
    I then imported remeshed STL file and created volume mesh using tetgen function in Preview Program.
    But I was only able to use the low-quality remeshed STL (with low number of elemens) file because the Preview program always crashed when I select the nodes to set the boundry conditions with high quality remeshed STL file (with high number of elemens).
    Do you have any specific maximum number of elements of file sizes of the STL files that can be used in Preview program.
    I think it also depends on the design of the structure. My structure actually has very thin wall thickness and pores with micro sized scale.
    Also, I just want to use higher quality remeshed STL file than befeore, please let me know how I can do if possible.
    thank you.

best,
    Jeonghun Park
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi,

PreView does not limit the size of STL files, so I don't think that is the problem. I guess if your model is really big PreView could run into memory issues, but I suspect your model would have to be huge for that to happen. If you can share your model, I can try to reproduce the problem on my end and see if I can find the cause. If it's not too big (<20Mb) you can email it to me at steve dot maas at utah dot edu or you can use a file sharing service such as google docs.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• mhhmp
      • Sep 2017

Hi, Steve,

thank you for your reply.
      I just sent 2 of share links to your email address.
      first one is for the remeshed STL file with high number of elements, and second one is for the remeshed STL file with lower number of elements.
      Thank you for your help!!

Best,
      Jeonghun Park

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi,

Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce the problem. I can read in the large file fine and select nodes. PreView does not crash for me. Are you using the latest version? If not, please update your PreView version and try again.

The only issue that I am aware of is that on some graphics cards selection can be extremely slow. This is due to deprecation of support for certain OpenGL features that PreView uses on some modern graphics cards. So, when you say "PreView crashes", do you perhaps mean that it is unresponsive for a while? If so, perhaps you just need to wait a bit longer and see if PreView returns. If possible, you can try running PreView on another computer and see if that solves it. By the way, we will have this fixed in our upcoming PreView 2, but unfortunately that version will probably not be available for at least a few months.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• mhhmp
          • Sep 2017

Hi, Steve,

That is really weird.
          I have used the latest version of Preview (1.20.4).
          My "preview crash" definitely means stopping working. Preview always crashed after no response for a while.
          I already have tried to use different computers, but it did not work.
          Anyway, Thank you for your help.

Best,
          Jeonghun Park

Comment

• mhhmp
            • Sep 2017

Hi, Steve

I'm just curious about the minimum performance of graphics card required for proper running Preview.
            Now I'm using internal graphics card (intel HD graphics 530), and this graphic card can support openGL (API version 4.5).
            Is this graphic card not enough to be used for Preview? Do I have to use additional external graphic card?
            As I said, my problem with Preview is not "no response for a while". Preview always stop working when I try to select the nodes after tetgen. it says "Preview.exe has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."
            Thank you.

Best,
            Jeonghun Park

Comment

• maas
              Lead Code Developer
              • Nov 2007

Hi Jeonghun,

There is no problem with your graphics card. It's just that some old, deprecated features of OpenGL - the graphics library we use for rendering - are poorly supported on some modern graphics cards. We need to update our software and avoid these old features. As I mentioned, this is done for the upcoming PreView 2 version, but the 1.x version still uses the old algorithms. If I find some time over the next couple of weeks, I'll try to port our solution to the old PreView 1.x and upload that version to the web. Please don't hesitate to check back in a week or two if you have not heard back from me.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

• mhhmp
                • Sep 2017

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply.
                My STL file with high elements doesn't have problem, and my graphic card is enough to be used for preview program.
                If so, what do you think is the cause of my preview crashing problem?
                I really want to know why the preview program always crashes when I try to select the nodes after tetgen, and also really want to solve this problem.
                I also created INP file from my STL file using 3-MATIC, and imported INP file into the Preview.
                Preview crashed again when I tried to select the nodes.
                Do you have any other possible reason for my problem? Or can I send you my preview file that I imported my STL file?
                Thank you.

Best,
                Jeonghun Park

Comment

• mhhmp
                  • Sep 2017

Hi, Steve,

I have one more thing that I want to report.
                  My preview crashing problem is always related with holding down the shift key.
                  I can select the nodes with clicking of "selection connected" with specific max angle.
                  But, when I tired to select the nodes by dragging with holding down the shift key, preview always crash.
                  Thank you.

best,
                  Jeonghun Park

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎