• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janbaucos
    • Oct 2015

Error while opening .xplt files with Postview

Hi FEBio Team,

I'm running a few models in a HPC and I got an error trying to open the .xplt files created by the cluster. The HPC is an SNOW Linux Cluster (Linux Debian 7.9 x64 OS). I've tried opening the files in different OS, but Postview always crashes. Do you know what the problem could be?

Here it's the file attached: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/er5ytmai5...eSsrdGUua?dl=0

Thanks,
    Alejandro.
  • janbaucos
    • Oct 2015

Hi FEBio Team,

Rigth after the previous Post, my model converged, but I got the same error trying to open the file. The FEBio version which is installed in the HPC (Linux Debian 7.9 x64 OS) is the 2.4.0. I've seen that the error appears when calling one of the elements matrix, but I'm not sure about what the error exactly means. I'll also try to update FEBio to the latest version and see if it changes anything.

Here attached the .xplt file: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/er5ytmai5...eSsrdGUua?dl=0

Thank you so much,
    Alejandro.

Comment

• maas
      Lead Code Developer
      • Nov 2007

Hi Alejandro,

This is a pretty big file. Could you be running out of memory? PostView allocates a lot of memory and the memory footprint of a file can be much larger than the file size on disk. What version of PostView are you using? The most recent one will give you a warning message when you are running out of memory. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve
      Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
      Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• janbaucos
        • Oct 2015

Hi Steve,

Yes, this is what I expected to be (run out of memory), but I'm using the latest Postview version and I haven't seen any warning message. Postview just crashes right away when opening a file. Moreover, I could open the file on a Linux computer using the PostView Linux 64bit (glibc 2.12) version. Is it just due to incompatibilities?

Best,
        Alejandro.

Comment

• Wilhelm
          • Nov 2015

Hey,

I have a similar problem. Postview (currently using 1.10) keeps crashing on opening a file (link) - which is pretty much smaller than the other one (its 48 MB).
          A similar file, same model with smaller mesh, and therefor smaller file size (36 MB, Link), opens without any problem on the same computer.

Trying to open same files on another computer lets them both crash.

Both files are according to the logfile finished normally.

Any idea what can be the problem here?

Another question - is there some possibility to just access the data of the result file? As I am currently interested in certain calculated values this may be a workaround for me - if possible...

Thanks a lot in advance,
          Alex

EDIT: Another file I cannot open, but which appeared to be finished correctly (link)
          Last edited by Wilhelm; 08-04-2016, 01:05 AM.

Comment

• maas
            Lead Code Developer
            • Nov 2007

Hi Alex,

I can't open either of these files and it looks like it is a bug in PostView related to the higher order element contact data variables. We'll try to get this fixed soon, but the only workaround would be to run your models without requesting contact output. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best,

Steve

Comment

• maas
              Lead Code Developer
              • Nov 2007

Hi Alex,

It appears the crash was caused by data defined on internal surfaces (i.e. a surface between two materials). PostView only supports surface data defined on external surfaces. I can look into supporting internal surfaces, but for now I fixed by essentially ignoring data that is defined on an internal surface. We'll get this bug fix online soon. Keep an eye out for version 1.10.2. On the other hand, since the data appears to be contact data and I'm not sure why one would define contact using internal surfaces, you may want to take a closer look at the model and make sure it is set up correctly. Let me know if you have any further questions about this.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢