Deformable body contact solves but Rigid body contact crashes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • schneider
    • Jun 2015

Deformable body contact solves but Rigid body contact crashes.

Hi all,

I have been using FEBio for the past year and would appreciate some help with trying to solve a contact problem in the basal thumb joint (between the first metacarpal and trapezium bones).

I have attached a working *.feb file. As you can see, I am using springs in a static simulation to bring the metacarpal into contact with a fixed trapezium. *Please note I am trying to keep the metacarpal as unconstrained as possible.

The goal is to optimize for a force vector which results in a desired orientation (objective function). Currently, each simulation is taking around 30 minutes to solve.

To speed up the process, I wish to use rigid body material properties for the cartilage to solve the force balance problem and then use the optimized force vector in a deformable model. However, when I change the cartilage material properties to rigid body the simulation crashes unexpectedly without error.

My questions are:
    1. Why is this happening?
    2. How can I work around this?

Any help with this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
    Marco

P.S. Is there an example of how to implement laugon for the first and final time-steps using a loadcurve? The users manual says this is possible, however, I have not managed to get it working yet.

ex3_backup3.zip
Working...
X
😀
😂
🥰
😘
🤢
😎
😞
😡
👍