• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dsrawlins
    Developer
    • Dec 2008

Biphasic Unconfined Compression Relaxation

This example extends the previous classical confined compression problem to that of an unconfined compression and relaxation for a biological tissue modeled with the biphasic theory. A comparison is provided between the output from FEBio and the analytical solution for this problem. This tutorial was written by Manuel Rausch and edited by David Rawlins.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by maas; 05-15-2013, 10:44 AM. Reason: Updated tutorial for PreView 1.12 and FEBio 1.6
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah
  • michalacadova
    • Jan 2010

How to set the zero pressure?

Hi,
    I would like to ask how do I set the pressure = 0? More specifically – which nodes/faces do I have to choose? Because when I choose whichever node or set of nodes it alerts me (in the Physics/Pressure loads) that „You must make a valid selection before you can define a boundary condition.“ The only chance, how I am able to set the prescribed zero pressure is to choose the whole face/faces, but than I don´t get the same results (as in Biphasic Unconfined Compression Relaxation tutorial). Actually, nothing happens.

Thanks for your reply

Michala

Comment

• maas
      Lead Code Developer
      • Nov 2007

Hi Michala,

This tutorial is apparently created using an older version of PreView, so I apologize for the confusion. I'll see if I can update the tutorial to a more recent version of PreView.

Regarding your question, please keep in mind that the "pressure" is not the same as the "fluid pressure". The pressure load is a mechanical pressure (for example, an expanding balloon), but if I understand you correctly, you want to apply a fluid pressure. In that case, you can select your nodes and then select Physics/fixed constraint and then select the fluid pressure as the variable you wish to fix.

Let me know if that answers you question.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

• michalacadova
        • Jan 2010

Hi Steve,
        yes this helps. Thanks
        Michala

Comment

• cakunkle
          • Mar 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if the biphasic unconfined compression relaxation tutorial has been updated to the most recent version of preview?

Thanks,

Catherine

Comment

• maas
            Lead Code Developer
            • Nov 2007

Unfortunately, I have not had the time to update the tutorial. Are you having problems with it?

Steve.

Comment

• cakunkle
              • Mar 2010

I just have a few questions related to the preview portion.
              First of all, I am unsure how to select parts of the cylinder to delete in order to have a quarter cylinder.
              When I enter the parameters under material editor the units are not specified. Are the default units MPa and 10^-3 mm^4/Ns?
              There are no "nodal constraints" or "nodal displacement" options under the physics tabs. Are these equivalent to "fixed constraints" and "prescribed constraints"?
              How do I create the mustpoint file in excel?

Sorry for all the confusion. I really appreciate your help!

Thanks,

Catherine

Comment

• maas
                Lead Code Developer
                • Nov 2007

To delete part of the cylinder, you first need to convert it to an editable mesh. You can do this by activating the Modify panel, click on Modifier Stack, click the Convert button and select editable mesh. If you now go into the Mesh panel, you can select and delete the individual elements of the mesh. It is important to do this before you apply any boundary conditions.

PreView does not support any units. Basically, it is assumed that whatever numbers are input by the users are consistent.

Yes, the "nodal constraint" is now "fixed constraints" and the "nodal displacement" is now "prescribed constraint".

Why do you want to create the must-point file in Excel? You can create it easily in PreView. If you open the curve editor, select the Project icon. Double click the must-point parameter to activate it. Finally, place your must points on the curve.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

• cakunkle
                  • Mar 2010

Hey Steve,

Yes, I was using the editable mesh. However, it only seems to let me select one square in the mesh or the entire thing.

The tutorial says to "select nodal displacement and double click on z-displacement to apply a displacement of 0.01 in the axial direction". Then, there should be a graph that allows you to input time and displacement. When I select "prescribed constraint" these options are not the same. Can this option be used to apply a set displacement in the negative z direction?

The tutorial also says to create a mustpoint input file with excel to get apply an exponential distribution. This can be done in the preview program?

Thanks again,

Catherine

Comment

• maas
                    Lead Code Developer
                    • Nov 2007

Hi Catherine,

To select multiple elements, you have to hold down your shift button while you click and drag with your left mouse button.

All the graphs are now collected in the Curve editor. After you apply your boundary condition, you can set the load curve in the Curve editor which can be opened from the "View/Curve editor" menu or from the main toolbar.

You can indeed create the mustpoint curve in PreView. I imagine that whoever wrote that tutorial found it easier to create the graph in excel and then import the data into PreView. You can do that from the Curve Editor as well by clicking the "load" button (or "load" menu in the most recent version).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

• cakunkle
                      • Mar 2010

Yes, that helps!

I am able to run a mooney rivlin poroelastic and transiso mooney rivlin poroelastic model. I seem to be getting the same results for both without any relaxation after the applied strain. Do you know how I can save the summary graphs in postview?

Thanks!

Catherine

Comment

• michalacadova
                        • Jan 2010

Same problem

Hi,
                        I have the similar problem – I have tried only a basic problem – a box loaded by a non-axial nodal force (using the editable mesh). When I tried to export this example to *.feb, it unexpectedly fall down. Moreover, this does not happen in all cases, but only from time to time. Is there anybody having the same experience? I have the preview version 1.2.1. and I hoped that the new one (1.2.4) will solve this problem. But in this case I am not able to create the mesh at all The mesh create button does not work. Can it be an installation problem?

Michala

Comment

• maas
                          Lead Code Developer
                          • Nov 2007

Hi Michala,

I'm not sure I'm following. Is this still related to the biphasic unconfined compression problem? If not, can you please start a new thread? Also, I'll need some more information on when the problem occurs. See if you can find a pattern that causes PreView to crash. If possible, a preview input file that contains the problematic model would be useful as well.

Thanks,

Steve.

Comment

• michalacadova
                            • Jan 2010

Can´t open manuel.prv

Hi,
                            I am trying this tutorial and I still have not managed to get the same result as you did. Moreover, I cannot open the manuel.prv to have a look at your setting. Would it be possible to attach this file again, please? I have the Prewiev version 1.2.1.

Thanks

Michala

Comment

• kangli2
                              • Aug 2010

same here, cannot open manuel.prv
                              ________
                              Cb450
                              Last edited by kangli2; 04-07-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍