Are membrane elements available?
issueid=555 06-15-2012 03:19 AM

Currently I am using shell elements for a skin layer. However as I understand it these have a bending stiffness associated with them. Would it be possible to implement "membrane elements" which do not support bending?

Kevin
Issue Details
Issue Number 555
Issue Type Feature
Project FEBio
Category Unknown
Status Rejected
Priority Unknown
Suggested Version Unknown
Implemented Version (none)
Votes for this feature 0
Votes against this feature 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

06-15-2012 12:37 PM
Hi Kevin,

Membrane elements are not currently available. As part of our upcoming code development we are planning to incorporate porous-permeable membranes in FEBio. Along the way we can also add solid membranes. I have been looking at this paper by Gerhard Holzapfel, which would apply to uncoupled (nearly incompressible) elastic membranes:

Large strain analysis of soft biological membranes: formulation and finite element analysis
Holzapfel, G.A.; Eberlein, R.; Wriggers, P.; Weizsacker, H.W. Source: Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, v 132, n 1-2, p 45-61, 15 May 1996

Please note that the timeline for membrane development is probably at least 6 months away.

Best,

Gerard

08-20-2012 03:35 AM
Are membrane elements now available? I noticed that in the latest source code under FEElementLibrary.cpp there is an entry "FETriMembraneElementTraits" and also I noticed "FEMembraneMaterial.cpp".

The user manual does not describe them yet I believe. If these are membrane elements how can they be implemented?

Thanks,

Kevin

08-22-2012 08:19 AM
Lead Code Developer
Kevin,

These membrane elements are an initial experiment to include membrane elements in FEBio. Unfortunately, they have some issues that need to be addressed before they can be used. I do not recommend using them.

Cheers,

Steve.

08-22-2012 08:36 AM
Thanks,

Kevin

09-08-2020 08:40 AM
Lead Code Developer
Technically one can model a membrane element by using a shell element with anisotropic properties and selectively setting some of the properties to zero to eliminate the bending stiffness. I donít think we will implement standalone membrane elements at this point.

Please post new issues to github.

Steve

+ Reply