Hyper elastic warping recompile for current version of FEBio
issueid=741 03-15-2016 02:10 PM
Hyper elastic warping recompile for current version of FEBio

It would be great if you could also recompile the Hyper elastic warping plugin to work with the latest SDK.

Thanks a ton!
Issue Details
Issue Number 741
Project Plugins
Category Unknown
Status Awaiting Feedback
Priority Unknown
Affected Version Unknown
Fixed Version (none)
Users able to reproduce bug 1
Users unable to reproduce bug 0
Assigned Users (none)
Tags (none)

01-18-2018 01:22 PM
This would be a great idea. I think modifying the posted FEWarp source code would be even better than just updating the binaries, though. Something about the lines below does not work quite the same with FEBio v2.6.4 (at least on 2.6.4.9499).

FEModel& fem = *GetFEModel();
FEMesh& mesh = fem.GetMesh();

Cheers,

Dave.

05-03-2018 07:11 AM
Lead Code Developer
Hi Dave,

Is this still an issue for you?

Thanks,

Steve

05-03-2018 09:10 AM
Hi Steve,

Yes. I was actually working on this to test the 16-bit support in FEBIO 2.7. If it helps at all, FEBIO 2.7.9579 returns a segmentation fault early on, FEWarpConstraint.ccp lines 48 and 49--the reference "el" (FESolidElement&) does not seem to be valid, so things go bonkers when trying to evaluate el.GaussPoints(). <sigh>

Cheers,

Dave.

05-03-2018 09:30 AM
Lead Code Developer
Okay, let me look into it today.

Steve

PS: our forum is about to go offline for a couple of days for some maintenance, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

05-03-2018 01:58 PM
Lead Code Developer
Hi Dave,

It turns out we haven't uploaded the warping plugin for FEBio 2.7. I apologize for that, I thought we had that taken care of. I will upload our latest version as soon as possible, but I'm not sure if I can get it done today. Would it help if I send you our latest source code?

Cheers,

Steve

05-03-2018 02:14 PM
Lead Code Developer
Dave,

Are you building your own plugin or are you using the dll file in the zip file from the website? I suspect the former since that dll will not even run with FEBio 2.7. But the odd thing is that the source code is still fully compatible with 2.7. I just tried it and it seems to work fine for me. So if you are building your own plugin, I'm not sure why you are running into problems. Can you tell me anything else that might be helpful in resolving this?

Thanks,

Steve

05-03-2018 03:43 PM
Steve,

I am indeed building my own plugin on Fedora 27. I dowloaded the source this morning (no mods), and set include and library paths to the FEBio 2.7 sdk. It compiles via gcc (config below) with no errors or warnings. All problems occur at run time, and seem to be related to a reference that I mentioned earlier.

FEWarpConstraint.ccp lines 48 and 49--the reference "el" (FESolidElement&) does not seem to be valid, so things go bonkers when trying to evaluate el.GaussPoints()
I have been trying to alter the source, but if the code is fully compatible with 2.7 as you point out, then maybe (?) it is time to focus my efforts on the make recipe.

Not sure if that helps, but thanks for looking into this.

David.

[dgomez@dogleg]# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=gcc
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/7/lto-wrapper
OFFLOAD_TARGET_NAMES=nvptx-none
OFFLOAD_TARGET_DEFAULT=1
Target: x86_64-redhat-linux
Configured with: ../configure --enable-bootstrap --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,fortran,ada,go,lto --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --enable-multilib --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --with-gcc-major-version-only --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-plugin --enable-initfini-array --with-isl --enable-libmpx --enable-offload-targets=nvptx-none --without-cuda-driver --enable-gnu-indirect-function --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 7.3.1 20180303 (Red Hat 7.3.1-5) (GCC)

05-03-2018 03:52 PM
Lead Code Developer
Oh, this is on Linux. In that case, I'll have to ask Dave Rawlins to look into this.

Are you building the FEBio code too? If so, I do recall that you have to make sure that you are linking the c-runtime library as a shared object, not statically. I'm not sure how to do this on Linux though. Hopefully, Dave R. can provide some insight. The reason this is important is because dynamic_casts are not guaranteed to work across a dll interface when the dll and the exe are linked to separate c-runtime libraries (which would be the case if both link statically). One thing to try, is to replace the dynamic_casts in the warp plugin code with static_cast. A static_cast should work across the dll interface. Of course, you will have to make sure that the cast always succeeds (by only having solid domains in your model), otherwise the plugin may still crash. Let me know if that worked.

Cheers,

Steve

05-03-2018 04:39 PM
Not building FEBio code. I am pretty sure I am linking as a shared object. It seems that the dynamic cast was not the issue, since the FESolidDomain reference does allow me to evaluate Elements(), which I assume won't work if the cast was not correct. In any case, changing to a static cast still returned what appears to be a bad reference to a FESolidElement, causing the (run time) Segmentation fault when evaluating GaussPoints()--no luck.

Since I am using the precompiled version of FEBio 2.7, which was built using a "new" glibc, it may be (frustratingly) possible that things will work with a FEBio 2.7 build using the old "centos" one. However, that is not available on febio.org yet, so I can't try it for now.

I look forward to hear from Dave R.

Thanks,

Dave.

05-03-2018 04:49 PM
Lead Code Developer
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that at this point an incompatible glibc is most likely the culprit. Let's see what Dave R. says.

Steve

+ Reply