• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • begoniam
    • Apr 2024

How to Move and Translate a Model in PreView

Hi everyone,

I am simulating axial compression on the distal end of the ulna and radius. In my setup, the concave surface of the loading cap has been positioned directly above the two bones. Before importing the loading cap and bones into PreView, I used the Mimics Innovation Suite to position the bones as close as possible to the loading cap (sometimes there may have been a little overlap). My simulations have run successfully; however, I wish to further investigate how much the strain response changes based on the size of the gap between the bones and the loading cap.

Question #1: Is there a way to move a model in PreView by using a vector? (e.g. typing in xyz coordinates to move the model a known distance?)
    Question #2: Is there a way to rotate the model in PreView by specifying the axis of rotation and the angle of rotation?

I know that it's possible to manually move and rotate a model by selecting the "Move" and "Rotate" options in PreView. Since I wish to plot the strain as a function of the gap between the loading cap and bones, I felt that I needed the exact positions for all models to achieve this. Any comments or suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Mark
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Mark,

You can enter the relative or absolute coordinates in PreView using the Transform tool. After selecting the translate/rotate/scale option on the toolbar, you can open the Transform tool from the menu Edit/Transform (ctrl+t shortcut). Give that a try and let me know if that worked for you (keep in mind that rotations are entered in degrees).

Best,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thank you so much for those tips. This is exactly what I wanted to do in order to further analyze my model. If I have any follow-up questions, I will let you know.

Thanks again,
      Mark

Comment

• helentan
        • Nov 2020

Hi,

I tried the above options and I am unable to flip my top plate in 180 degrees (because I want the normal faces to be facing my biphasic solid). Would it be possible for you to tell me what I am not doing right?

Best regards,
        Helen
        Attached Files

Comment

• maas
          Lead Code Developer
          • Nov 2007

Hi Helen,

The model you attach seems to run fine and I don't see what part you would want to flip. Can you please provide some more detail on what you are trying to do?

Thanks,

Steve
          Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
          Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢