X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jksinclair
    • Feb 2023

Tibial strain

I am attempting (as an FeBio newbie) to calculate tibial strains during walking and running to be used in a probabilistic model.

Apologies for the number of queries, but it may well be faster to address in this manner, rather than separately to several different questions.
    1. I've attached the stl files either tibia alone or tibia-fibula which I convert to mesh designation within FEBio using tetgen, but they seem to perform very poorly in the mesh diagnostic analysis specifically in relation to the edges and faces.
    Is there anything I can do to improve this.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kR1DEIA-MfndwGWbp7bSbCniMLItZSzD?usp=sharing

2. The literature suggests that tibial bone should be modelled with a modulus of 17.19GPa for cortical and 10.69GPa for trabecular bone – I have added neo-Hookean property materials with modulus and Poisson’s ratio for one component, but it doesn’t seem possible to add additional properties to the same mesh.

3. I have the necessary peak contact forces from an OpenSim simulation expressed in the tibial frame that I wish to apply to the distal aspect. For the participant that I am interested in these are X=-1100, Y=5500N & Z=250N in the correct orientation as the FeBio co-ordinates. The forces would be applied to the proximal end of the tibia so I’m assuming that I do this by adding a ‘Load’, but following this I’m not clear on whether this should be applied using the node, surface or body function?

4. The literature also suggests fully constraining the proximal part of the tibial i.e. plateau in both rotational and translation. Is this accomplished using the model nodal boundary condition function and then the zero rotation and translation functions.

Any assistance would be extremely appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by jksinclair; 03-07-2023, 12:32 PM.
Working...
X