• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeikoStark
    • Mar 2009

New active contraction as plugin

Dear developer,

I have added a new active contraction model to the FENewFiberMaterial class (please see Test.zip).
    But I have no access to the new variable smax. I think the new implementation of the tag active_contraction is not registered.
    Please, could you give me a tip?

Best regards,
    Heiko
    Attached Files
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Heiko,

I think I understand the problem you are running into. I assume that you want to use your new active contraction model, but unfortunately the FETransverselyIsotropic material allocates the FEActiveContraction model and does not give you the option to allocate your own. This might be a place for future expansion of the plugin framework. However, I think the best way around this is to not use the FETransverselyIsotropic material as a base class, but use the FEUncoupledMaterial base class directly. That means you'll need to do a little more work. In fact, there are two approaches you could take.

1. Make the FENewActiveContractionMaterial a member variable of your FEGordon1966 material and use the FEGordon1966 material to pass the parameters down to the new active contraction material. In fact, you could just implement all the active contraction stuff directly into FEGordon1966.

2. Alternatively, modify the FEGordon1966 material so that it resembles the way the FETransverselyIsotropic works and implement the Properties(), GetProperty(), FindPropertyIndex(), and SetProperty() function.

I think option 1 is the easiest, especially if you don't anticipate the use of different active contraction models. If I find some time, I may take a stab at this as well, but give it a try and let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• HeikoStark
      • Mar 2009

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for your hints! (Sorry for my late response )
      I have implemented a combination of your two methods.
      As first I have implemented the Properties(), GetProperty(), FindPropertyIndex(), and SetProperty() function into the FEGordon1966 material.
      And then I have passed the parameters down to the new active contraction material.

It seems to work, but it would be nice, if you could look about it.
      Especially with the implementation of the load curve of smax I'm unsure.

Test.zip

Best regards,
      Heiko

Comment

• weiss
        • Nov 2007

Dear Heiko,

Thanks very much for your work on implementing an active contraction plugin. I'm sure Steve will get back to you shortly, but I wanted to mention that we now have a procedure available to help with distribution of user plugins. If you are interested in distributing your plugin through the FEBio web page, please take a look here:

Jeffrey A. Weiss
        Professor, Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of Utah
        Director, Musculoskeletal Research Laboratories
        jeff.weiss@utah.edu

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢