X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jcoogan
    • Aug 2013

Problem importing from LS DYNA

I'm having a problem importing meshes from LS Dyna, resulting in the error "Negative jacobian detected at integration point x of element y, Did you use the right node numbering?" This occurs only in a few elements and does appears to be random to me. The LS Dyna files are attached.
    Attached Files
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

The problem is that you have a few very badly shaped elements in your meshes. Assuming you have the latest version of PreView, you can use the "Mesh Inspector" tool to find out where these elements are located. Open the Mesh Inspector tool and select the Jacobian option from the dropdown menu. Then in the "selection" box at the bottom of the Mesh Inspector set the Max to zero and push "select". This will select all elements that are initially inverted. Unfortunately, the only way around this problem is to remesh the model. In your meshing software, see if there is any way to increase the quality of the elements. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• jcoogan
      • Aug 2013

Thanks! I tried to convert to a tet mesh since LS-Dyna seems to create tet meshes better than hex meshes. However, when I import it into Preview, it registers as a penta mesh and renders very strangely. Any advice would be very much appreciated, thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡