• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwards9
    • Apr 2008

Loading of Proximal Femur

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a proximal femur model. I would like to create some node sets or surfaces or anything to apply muscle forces. Would there be a preferred method to do this so as not to obtain unrealistic stress concentrations at the applied load/bone interface? Thanks in advance.

Brent
  • maas
    Lead Code Developer
    • Nov 2007

Hi Brent,

Can you be a little more specific. What software are you using? Are you getting unrealistic stress concentrations right now? If you are having problems with a current model, I would also recommend uploading the file on the forum if possible.

Cheers,

Steve.
    Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
    Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

• edwards9
      • Apr 2008

Hi Steve,

Thanks for getting back. I'm working in Preview. I have no data to show you as of yet as I have not loaded the femur. I'm new to finite element modeling and just wanted to get the forums opinion on the best way to load the femur. My thought was to simply destribute the loads over several nodes, but I didn't know if this would be the prefered method. Please let me know if you would use a different method. Otherwise I will go ahead as planned, and post the model if I obtain suspect results.

Best regards,

Brent

Comment

• maas
        Lead Code Developer
        • Nov 2007

Hi Brent,

There are several ways you can load an object. Applying point forces is one way, but it requires you to specify the equivalent nodal forces that correspond to the actual loading and those are not always easy to obtain. I would only recommend doing it this way for simple test cases (or off course, if you know or don't care about the correct nodal force distribution).

An alternative way would be to apply pressure forces. You select a surface and apply a pressure to the surface.

A third way would be to attach the area to which you wish to apply a force to a rigid body and then apply the force to the rigid body. The advantage of this approach is that it allows you to work directly with the force, which is usually easier than applying a pressure.

I would recommend going through the PreView manual to see how to use these different approaches. I know the current manual is getting a bit outdated, so do let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck

Steve.
        Department of Bioengineering, University of Utah
        Scientific Computing and Imaging institute, University of Utah

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢